Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: How can I restore files from my usb drive to my restored windows 8.1?  (Read 5216 times)

Isaura

Topic Starter

Rookie

Hello,

I have just restored my windows 8 to it's original settings, first I tried minimized image recovery to backup my files, but the computer said it didn't work (but I saw that the files were on my usb stick) so then I did a complete reset of my windows 8.Now I have the files on my usb named : Backup_2015-04-09 201108 and I have no idea what to do with this.Cause it doesn't look like normal files inside.
    They are all .swm or .dll
    Can someone tell me how to solve this? I would really like my pictures and documents back.
    Sorry for my English, my computer is in Dutch.Any help is welcome

Isaura

Magicrafter13

Greenhorn

• Long Live Nintendo
      • Magicrafter13 - YouTube
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: How can I restore files from my usb drive to my restored windows 8.1?
    « Reply #1 on: April 10, 2015, 07:38:01 PM »
    I know this is going to be a stupid reply but why don't you just try copy and paste, and if that doesn't work because of a weird file format than go to the restore thing under settings and select whichever function allows you to restore your files. (When I decide to make a more informative post I will reply (sorry, I'm on vacation right now and my win 8 is at home))
    Although the universe is infinite and expanding we still know much about it, we look into it everyday and find out more, and yet we will always have the lingering question: where did I leave that floppy disk...

AlicePhoebe

Greenhorn

• Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #2 on: April 28, 2015, 10:29:31 PM »
      Do not save new files on this USB flash drive. Anything new on this drive may rewrite your needed business files and make them gone permanently.
      Connect this drive to your computer and download data recovery software to help you. u can try easeus data recovery wziard, note: if your lost data >2GB, you can't use the free edition, because the free edition only support recovery 2gb.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #3 on: April 28, 2015, 11:56:41 PM »
      You might not be successful.  :(
      Here is a general reference about Backup in Windows 8.1 in basic terms.
      What happened to Backup and Restore?
      ... in previous versions of Windows, you could use Backup and Restore to back up your files or create and use a system image backup or repair disc. Windows 8.1 gives you choices about how you can recover your PC and back up your personal files.

IMO anyone who is unsure about the procedure should first practice with another spare hard drive to get the feel of how it works.
      An alternative is to purchaser an eternal backup drive. This is the best way for laptops.
      Here is a link to the most popular external backups from Amazon.
      Best Sellers - External Drives.

One must learn how to do it before one  tries.  8)