Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Computer Help  (Read 5283 times)

DaveAUS

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    Computer Help
    « on: February 09, 2020, 08:08:00 PM »
    Hello all,

I need help selecting one of the below. We are on a tight budget and need a computer to assist with our studies at university (Its my wife and myself who will be using it).

We both have laptops (me a Chromebook) - need something i can access the full MS Word on and something we can do online exams and have multiple tabs open when doing assignments.

Which one of the below tow would be best?

HP All-in-One 24-f0036a
    Lenovo IdeaCentre A340 23.8" AIO F0E6000UAU

https://www.thegoodguys.com.au/lenovo-ideacentre-a340-238-inches-aio-f0e6000uau
    https://h20386.www2.hp.com/AustraliaStore/Merch/Product.aspx?id=3JV20AA&opt=&mastersku=3JV20AA&masteropt=&sel=DTP&

Thanks for your help!

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Computer Help
    « Reply #1 on: February 11, 2020, 11:52:27 AM »
    You will probably find a system with better performance for your money if your willing to go for a Desktop Computer with Tower to it and display. Additionally if you should ever want to have an upgrade path with the system, you would be able to upgrade it much easier vs having to toss away this system and having to buy yet another system at full price.

Other than that it comes down to preference for the two that you shared if you have to have an all in one type. If you ever want to game, these are not for gaming the CPUs are weak. If your just using it for MS Word and Online Exams with multiple tabs its a match for both of these. Additionally if you ever want to get into Graphic Design or anything like that these 2 will struggle badly.

Lisa_maree

Mentor
    • My first real computer
      • Yes
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Computer Help
    « Reply #2 on: February 11, 2020, 12:35:18 PM »
    Hi

There is a version of the Lenovo with a 512 gb SSD drive. A little more but well worth the extra money.
    The Good guys don't seem to have it on their site, here is the New Zealand listing
    https://www.pbtech.co.nz/product/WKALEN34003/Lenovo-Ideacentre-A340-All-in-One-215-FHD-Intel-Pe?qr=GShopping&gclid=CjwKCAiAvonyBRB7EiwAadauqZo6iwMLB1SZh5RtkimxvaKTUPvQn-zazWSImk4uf5bMWiB3f-M5sBoCuXIQAvD_BwE
    Perhaps if your town has a e waste depot you could try there, often for a few dollars you can get a 2 or 3 year old computer. Even all in ones like these are hard to get any e waste value from so are better getting a second life. 

You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you.”
    ― John Bunyan