Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Excel Formula Question  (Read 2280 times)

KLondon

Topic Starter

• Experience: Experienced
    Excel Formula Question
    « on: May 04, 2015, 10:42:30 AM »
    I'm trying to make sense of a spreadsheet I have been given and need to do the following:

Every day we send out the same pieces of information that are copied from the previous day and then the formulas automatically update, or at least they did before I started working here.

The formula I'm trying to automate looks like this:

=C$3-$A1210 (Obviously these change)

C$3 is the current amount of days until the event and $A1210 is the current date...so it basically deducts a day each time according to the date in column c$3.

I can't figure out how to automate this so that when I copy all the data from the previous day it will update the $A1210 cell to the next days and insert lets say $A1222 which would be the row in which the date is set for the next day and so forth.

I hope that makes sense? Any pointers would be appreciated :)

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Excel Formula Question
    « Reply #1 on: May 04, 2015, 12:20:19 PM »
    VBA is probably what your looking for if you don't already have VBA in use.

If it was working until you got there my thoughts on this are that someone was manually entering the data before you got there maybe, as for it kind of makes no sense for something to stop like this just because you started there unless you broke it by accident ;D

http://www.mrexcel.com/forum/excel-questions/585028-insert-data-into-next-blank-row-visual-basic-applications.html

KLondon

Topic Starter

• Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #2 on: May 05, 2015, 12:42:05 AM »
      I think it may just be manual too although why enter in a formula when you could just deduct the amount in your head? Seems redundant ?  And yeah I did wonder if I'd pressed something I shouldn't have :/ :)

Kuririn

• Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #3 on: May 15, 2015, 01:24:47 AM »
        Sorry if I am getting you wrong, but as I understand it the value of cell C3 is a fixed date? That means this day doesn't need to be changed or does it?
        So why are you not just writing
        =C$3-today()
        today() will be updated depending on your current date. This solution seems a bit too easy for me but anyway maybe it guides you towards a good direction ;)

If the guy before you used a vba code it is almost impossibel that you accidentally dismissed it. Even so the code should still be available to view it under macros.