Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: odd upgrade problem  (Read 2842 times)

unicorn

odd upgrade problem
« on: November 10, 2005, 01:15:27 PM »
Howdy, all,

I've got a bit of a problem that's got me stumped.

I have a computer with 160 mb RAM, 1 32 mb chip in the front slot and 1 128 mb chip in the back slot - only 2 RAM slots total.  We want to put another 128 chip in the place of that 32 mb.  Now here's the fun part - whenever we replace the chip, the computer will not power up...the monitor cycles from yellow standby light, to green light, then back to yellow again and that's all it does, but as soon as you replace the RAM chips to the original configuration, all is well again.

As for the particulars, the computer is a Dell OptiPlex GX110, one of the older white Dell systems.  It is running WIN98 SE and has DirectX 9.0 c.
CPU - Intel Pentium IIIE, 933 MHz
Chipset - Intel Whitney i810E
BIOS - Phoenix
Video Adapter - Intel 82810E Graphics Controller
3D Accelerator - Intel i752
Monitor - Dell D1025TM 17-in.

When I first got this computer, I reformatted it and reinstalled new drivers and suchlike, or at least all drivers that I could locate.  I am pretty sure the thing is upgradable...at least it should be, but I am baffled as to why it won't accept this new chip.  The thing seems attached to that 32 mb chip for some reason.

Hope someone out there knows something about this issue...I wonder if it isn't some glitch inherent in either Dell or Intel that requires that 32 mb chip to be in that slot, regardless of whatever other chip is in there with it, but that doesn't much make sense.  Or is there something special that needs to be done with this sort of system when you upgrade the hardware in this manner?  

Thanks, ya'll

GX1_Man

Re: odd upgrade problem
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2005, 03:24:38 PM »
I am the Dell master here. You have incompatible RAM, probably a new make than what that needs, or the wrong type.

Do you know for sure about the 128 meg  chip you are putting in?

SDRAM, PC100 • CL=2 • Unbuffered • Non-parity • 100MHz • 3.3V • 16Meg x 64

These are the characteristics you need.

http://www.crucial.com/store/listparts.asp?Mfr%2BProductline=Dell%2BOptiPlex&mfr=Dell&tabid=AM&model=OptiPlex+GX110+Series&submit=Go

Shows what you need. If you get it at crucial it is guaranteed to work!

I love old Optiplexes, and have way too many. They are durable, reliable, and heck, look at my name!

:o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

unicorn

« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2005, 06:48:00 AM »
I'm pretty sure it's an SDRAM chip, and I think the same goes for the 128 chip that's currently in it, but I'll have to check to be sure.

Sorry, I forgot to include that...brain fart, since I reckon you do need to know that...duh! :-[

GX1_Man

« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2005, 01:01:39 PM »
SDRAM is the minimum requirement. Where did you get this chip? Check the other characteristics carefully.

unicorn

« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2005, 04:29:19 PM »
The particulars match...don't know why it won't work right...we installed the 128 already in it ourselves, in the second slot and they are the same chips.

My husband got the chips in a swap from a friend he works with.

GX1_Man

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2005, 05:16:47 PM »
Try running with just the new chip and see what happens. Did you read on the crucial site this part:

<<Your system only supports modules made with a specific type of chips. While you might find what appears to be the exact same memory for a lower price elsewhere, the cheaper memory might not work in your system. >>

I'll bet this a new manufacture chip that may not be compatible. That is definitely a problem with older Optiplexes, like mine - only one genration behind. Did you have a label showing the particulars?

CL=2 • Unbuffered • Non-parity • 100MHz • 3.3V • 16Meg x 64  

The 32 meg chip being present is absolutely NOT required for the system to function.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2005, 05:17:28 PM by GX1_Man »