Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: scanning oversized documents  (Read 3171 times)

stevent

scanning oversized documents
« on: November 11, 2005, 05:28:43 PM »
I have a HP psc 1315. I 'm very pleased with it so far; I can't find anything in the literature relating to scanning anything larger than 8" x 11". I'm transferring a lot of my old LP's to CD format and would like to use the original covers (a lot of the albums are obscure and out of print). I've tried searching the web for some of them; I can find some of the CD art, but not the original album art (they are often different). Any suggestions?

Hopester Doofus

Adviser

• Hope-ing To Help
    Re: scanning oversized documents
    « Reply #1 on: November 11, 2005, 06:07:28 PM »
    The maximum document size of the scanner function for this unit is 8.5" x 11". It doesn't even look like an LP album jacket will fit in it.

The other thing you could do is take a digital photo of the album cover and store it as a jpg or bitmap.
    There’s no limit to what you can achieve if you don’t mind who gets the credit.

braincramp

« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2005, 06:13:23 AM »
    Thanks!

Hopester Doofus

Adviser

• Hope-ing To Help
      « Reply #3 on: November 12, 2005, 11:29:32 AM »
       ;D
      There’s no limit to what you can achieve if you don’t mind who gets the credit.

Dell4700

« Reply #4 on: November 13, 2005, 08:38:59 AM »
      Stevent,

I've scanned hundreds of album covers with an undersized scanner.  This is exactly how I do it -

- I scan as much of the cover as I can from one edge, then save (I use jpeg format and 300 dpi).  Use a heavy book or phonebook to hold the cover down.

- I then scan from the opposite edge and save.  This should give you an overlap on each scan.

- I use Adobe Photoshop to open both files (any good graphics program will do, maybe even Paint) and cut and paste one scan on the other.  If you are careful, you won't be able to tell where they overlapped.

- I then save the joined file and there you have it.

- once you resize or print the file to CD size you can't tell it was a double scan!

btw I use an HP1000 scanner among others.

Hope this helps!

Dell

Dell4700

« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2005, 01:17:34 PM »
      Stevent,

Sorry, I should have included the following.  My Bad!

Please add the following to my comments:

- In your case, since the scan bed is so small, you would have to scan from each of the four corners (4 files for each album).

- If you plan to do a lot of albums, I'd consider getting at least a legal size bed ~8 1/2 x 14"

Dell