Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Apparent huge difference between capacity and availablity on internal HD  (Read 2789 times)

jonnyD

Topic Starter

Intermediate

Attached is a screenshot of my internal HD I use to store data on.  Why is there such a huge disparity between advertised capacity and apparent availability of actual HD space?

[attachment deleted by admin to conserve space]

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Beginner
    If the drive is actually a 1.5TB Drive, than it was not partitioned to use the full space. You can observe the actual disk space in Disk Management (Windows key+R, "diskmgmt.msc").

I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

jonnyD

Topic Starter

Intermediate

To my unfamiliar eye, I do not see any difference in what the Disk Management utility tells me (see new attachment) and what the first screenshot I attached tells me. If it truly is a partition problem and not a misrepresentation on the part of WD ie. saying it's a 1.5TB HD instead of a 1TB HD, is there a way to repartition the HD without losing current data? How do I know what the capacity truly is?

[attachment deleted by admin to conserve space]

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • BC-Programming.com
      The drive is a 1TB drive, not a 1.5TB drive. The Label "WD Caviar Black 1.5TB" suggests it is 1.5TB but you would have set the label at some point for it to say that.

-Do you still have the original packaging?
      -What is the model number of the drive? You check the model number either on the sticker on the HDD itself, or  via Device Manager (Windows Key+R, devmgmt.msc, it should be under "Disk Drives", likely containing "WD" somewhere in the model)

jonnyD

Topic Starter

Intermediate

but you would have set the label at some point for it to say that.
        What do you mean about "setting the label"?
        It turns out I apparently ordered (and installed!!) a 1TB HD. I have the original box and googled the model number (yup - 1TB  >:(). I also found my order history on Amazon, where I bought it. (Yup - 1TB HD  >:( >:(). I obviously thought I had a 1.5TB HD but didn't pay attention. :||x And that assumption has only been reinforced by the properties dialogue box for my E: drive which shows: WD Caviar Black 1.5TB (see first attachment). Why is it showing up as 1.5Tb and not 1TB  ???

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
          • Yes
          • Yes
          • BC-Programming.com
        What do you mean about "setting the label"?
        It turns out I apparently ordered (and installed!!) a 1TB HD. I have the original box and googled the model number (yup - 1TB  >:(). I also found my order history on Amazon, where I bought it. (Yup - 1TB HD  >:( >:(). I obviously thought I had a 1.5TB HD but didn't pay attention. :||x And that assumption has only been reinforced by the properties dialogue box for my E: drive which shows: WD Caviar Black 1.5TB (see first attachment). Why is it showing up as 1.5Tb and not 1TB  ???

The label is exactly what you are describing. The label here is "WD Caviar Black 1.5TB". By default, HDDs have no label. However, when you format the drive it will ask for a label that you can supply. If you thought the drive was 1.5TB than it would make sense for you to have entered that label at the time, which has of course confused you into thinking it was "official" in some fashion.

strollin

Adviser
          • Yes
        • Experience: Guru
        You can easily change the label.  In Windows Explorer, right-click on the drive and select Properties.  At the top of the Properties dialog box is a field with the label,  enter whatever you want as the label there.