Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows Drive way too much big  (Read 3000 times)

JoeKkerr

Topic Starter

Beginner

• Experience: Beginner
    Windows Drive way too much big
    « on: May 09, 2015, 02:05:04 AM »
    Hello guys, back after a long time

I have searched on forums as well as on internet for this problem & tried different soultions but with lil to no success

I have 3 drives with C being my system drive its 40 GB & now only 5.2 gb remains free
    I tried deleting Windows error reporting files from disk cleanup but it hardly helped

I install everything to E drive which has highest space except the quintessetinal programs that have to be compulsorily installed in system drive (or automatically install in system drive)

This is affecting my butter smooth performance in games as well as photoshop , kindly help
    Some people like my advice so much that they frame it on wall instead of using it !

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: Windows Drive way too much big
    « Reply #1 on: May 09, 2015, 03:55:12 AM »
    Use disc cleanup - "More Options" button - delete old restore points. That should free up a lot of space. If it does, you can reduce the space allotted to system restore or simply disable system restore and use disc imaging software instead. Also delete all temp files and reduce the space allotted to Temporary Internet Files.

If none of the above help, download and run Tree Size and see where the space is being used.

JoeKkerr

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2015, 04:22:14 AM »
      Use disc cleanup - "More Options" button - delete old restore points. That should free up a lot of space. If it does, you can reduce the space allotted to system restore or simply disable system restore and use disc imaging software instead. Also delete all temp files and reduce the space allotted to Temporary Internet Files.

If none of the above help, download and run Tree Size and see where the space is being used.

System restore is off, i'll use tree size & report back, thanx for your time
      Some people like my advice so much that they frame it on wall instead of using it !

JoeKkerr

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2015, 04:49:38 AM »
        Here is the shot after using Tree size

Seems like these 2 files are culprit, other all things look fine,
        Patio what would you suggest as these look system files due to their *.sys format

JoeKkerr

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2015, 05:13:15 AM »
          Problem solved ! with a lil bit help from google

The two files CAN be deleted direcltly as administrator
          One is pagefile.sys , a file in which temporary data is stored when ram isnt available

It can be deleted by My computer > properties > Advanced system settings > advanced (tab) > performance (settings button) > advanced > virtual memory > no paging file & press the set button followed by YES to all queries ...restart & windows will delete the pagefile.sys automatically

Hiberfile.sys is related to hibernation

Disable hibernation by running cmd prompt as admin & type Powercfg.exe -h off
          Restart & the file will be deleted

Hope this will help future readers

Salmon Trout

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2015, 06:35:42 AM »
          [...]pagefile.sys , a file in which temporary data is stored when ram isnt available

It can be deleted [...]

You can delete the page file, sure, but running Windows without one can lead to weird crashes; even with large amounts of RAM a small page file is still a good idea. If you absolutely must have such a tiny system disk, you can simply move the page file to the other disk that has more space. There are plenty of places on the web showing how to do this; simply Google for "move Windows xx page file to another drive" where xx is your Windows version.

Allan

• Mastermind
          • Experience: Guru
          « Reply #6 on: May 10, 2015, 10:55:05 AM »
          Don't delete pagefile.sys (it will only be recreated at the next boot), just set the maximum size to a more realistic number (1 or 2 Gb) or set it to "windows managed". As for hiberfil.sys, just disable hibernation.

JoeKkerr

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2015, 03:20:17 AM »
            You can delete the page file, sure, but running Windows without one can lead to weird crashes; even with large amounts of RAM a small page file is still a good idea. If you absolutely must have such a tiny system disk, you can simply move the page file to the other disk that has more space. There are plenty of places on the web showing how to do this; simply Google for "move Windows xx page file to another drive" where xx is your Windows version.

Thank you sir,didnt knew that !  :)

JoeKkerr

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2015, 03:20:46 AM »
              umm , even after disabling the paging ? will it be created again

patio

• Genius
              • Maud' Dib
                • Yes
              « Reply #9 on: May 11, 2015, 06:10:30 AM »
              Yes....
              " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Salmon Trout

« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2015, 12:30:11 PM »
              Yes....
              If you go into your virtual memory settings and set the paging file to "none" for all drives then it won't be recreated. As I said before, you can get weird problems with no page file.

When certain applications start, they allocate a huge amount of memory (hundreds of megabytes typically set aside in virtual memory) even though they might not use it. If no page file (i.e., virtual memory) is present, a memory-hogging application can quickly use a large chunk of RAM. Even worse, just a few such programs can bring a machine loaded with memory to a halt. Some applications (e.g., Adobe Photoshop) will display warnings on startup if no page file is present.

For this reason, people with large amounts of RAM, like 16 GB or more, leave a small page file of 512 MB rather than turn it off altogether. Best to leave it alone as "system managed" on the disk with most space.