Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows XP Pro better then Windows XP SP2 or SP3?  (Read 5395 times)

siriguk

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Beginner
    Windows XP Pro better then Windows XP SP2 or SP3?
    « on: May 12, 2015, 03:19:38 AM »
     Windows XP Pro better then Windows XP SP2 or SP3?
    here my computer data:

System Manufactured:P4V80
    System Model: P4VM8000
    Default system BIOS
    Processor: Intel Celeron CPU 2.53 Ghz
    Memory: 512 Rami

Very poor system but I want to know anyway wich XP is better for my system?
    Will be amazing to be able to Remote my sistem from distance, i understand XP can't do that only Pro can do it
    thanks

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Windows XP Pro better then Windows XP SP2 or SP3?
    « Reply #1 on: May 12, 2015, 08:11:59 PM »
    You could do it with XP Home if you install a software such as RealVNC on it.

XP SP2 if you want best performance, SP3 fully patched if you want best security and bug fixes.

You could find a CPU upgrade and go to 1GB RAM on ebay pretty cheaply, such as i bought a Pentium 4 3.0Ghz HT for $12 and got a 1024MB  ( 1GB ) DDR400Mhz RAM stick for $6.

siriguk

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #2 on: May 13, 2015, 12:05:21 AM »
      windows home i think is not so eficient as XP , if i use Real VNC mmm it is used to allow remote acces

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      « Reply #3 on: May 13, 2015, 12:34:25 AM »
      For what it is worth.  :)
      Early versions of Windows XP could not do the better security now used by most wireless routers. This means you must connect your PC with Ethernet.
      The updates to XP are available for free. So it is easier to just upgrade rather than workaround the limitations you may find.
      Also, some programs require some kind of .NET stuff, so if you do not upgrade you have fewer high performance programs available.

Well, there are many programs that will not run on XP anyway. For some new stuff you have to use Windows 8 or better.

So, if you stick with XXP, you will fade into the sunset.

camerongray

Expert
        • Yes
        • Cameron Gray - The Random Rambings of a Computer Geek
      « Reply #4 on: May 14, 2015, 03:14:44 AM »
      What are you actually trying to achieve here?

For what it's worth, opening up RDP or VNC over the internet is not a good idea, there are regularly security vulnerabilities found in these protocols and there are constantly bots scanning the internet for machines that have open RDP and VNC servers to attempt to break into them.  This is made even worse by the fact you are running XP so will not get any updates to patch future security holes.  At the very least you should have the RDP or VNC server running behind some sort of firewall and access it over something such as a VPN or via SSH port forwarding.

DaveLembke

Sage
      « Reply #5 on: May 14, 2015, 07:28:27 AM »
      I agree with Camerongray with "Tunneling" with VPN etc to protect from security problems which could arise with a wide open RDP with XP Pro or VNC connection with XP Home.

http://www.windowsecurity.com/articles-tutorials/firewalls_and_VPN/Configure-VPN-Connection-Windows-XP.html