Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Service Pack updates  (Read 5113 times)

comda

Topic Starter

Adviser
    • Yes
  • Experience: Experienced
Service Pack updates
« on: May 10, 2015, 08:51:20 PM »
Greetings Computer Hope!

I just put together a nice system to play all my old XP games that refuse to play properly in Windows 7.
Specs are as follows:

Core 2 Duo 6400 @ 1.8Ghz
2Gb DDr2 Memory (4x 512mb)
80Gb WD HDD
Nvidia FX 6800 Gt 256Mb (dual DVI)

Anyways. My issue is i have a retail copy of windows XP Professional (no service pack) and was wondering if I can upgrade to SP3 without wasting my time downloading the updates. I have a disk that has an executable that updates to SP3 but you have to already have SP2 on it to do so. And im on no service packs.

I want to stay legal, no cracks please. I found the downloadable SP3 a few years back on microsofts page but cant find an exe SP2. Any ideas?

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Re: Service Pack updates
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2015, 10:03:45 PM »
Somewhere it says service packs must be done in order.
Microsoft does not indicate they will provide all the service packs.
Ssoftonic claims to have all three for download.
http://en.softonic.com/s/windows-xp-service-pack-1-2-3
You should understand Ssoftonic may 'piggy back' other programs to your download. You may decline the ones you do not want.
Ssoftonic is a major site and I do not think they do 'hacks' or malware. But they do need to get some income to justify the download service.  8)

BTW: You might want to use IE 6 with Windows XP.

Allan

• Mastermind
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #2 on: May 11, 2015, 05:32:17 AM »
Service packs are cumulative. You can go straight to sp3 without installing prior service packs.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #3 on: May 11, 2015, 06:12:45 AM »
Nope...SP3 will not install if you don't have at least SP 1...

You will probably tear your hair out trying to find SP these days though.
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

DaveLembke

Sage
« Reply #4 on: May 11, 2015, 06:29:16 AM »
I was looking for SP1a a while back and I was able to go from SP0 to SP2 first and then SP3. I have had SP3 complain about a .Net requirement that has to be satisfied before SP3 will take, of which the .Net update is part of SP2.

These days I have a SP3 slipstream fully patched to all but the last surprise patch that Microsoft released after they stated they were no longer supporting it. So its a clean build direct to the next to last patch and then 1 patch and done.

***Isnt the Core 2 Duo E6400 2.13Ghz and not 1.8Ghz. I went on a google search because I have an older system with the Core 2 Duo E4300 1.8Ghz and was going to compare the differences since I thought they were both 1.8Ghz and then I saw that mine is 1.8ghz and yours should be 2.13ghz if its a E6400. http://www.cpu-world.com/Compare/586/Intel_Core_2_Duo_E4300_vs_Intel_Core_2_Duo_E6400.html

My Core 2 Duo E4300 was an upgrade I performed from the weaker Pentium E2160 in a Dell Inspiron 530S that was given to me. The Pentium E2160 lagged in comparison to the Core 2 Duo E4300 even with XP Home SP3 clean build. Now its faster with the Core 2 Duo.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2015, 06:35:11 AM »
The last 3 times i tried to start with a clean install of XP on client's PC i could not install SP2 until SP1 was installed...

After spending a full day trying to find SP1 on the web i finally gave up...

I wound up having to source an XP original CD that included all the Service Packs included and did a clean install...

DaveLembke

Sage
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2015, 06:39:20 AM »
hmm... when I went from SP0 to SP2 I used the Service Pack 2 CD that Microsoft shipped years ago to our business .... maybe there was some sort of extra SP1a content on that SP2 CD that isn't part of the normal SP2 download.  :-\

Oddly enough I just found SP1a unless the download link is broken.... I haven't tried it, but it looks like Microsoft added SP1a back to their site as for years ago it was nowhere to be found with only option being SP2. http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=19751

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
« Reply #7 on: May 11, 2015, 06:43:02 AM »
The Express install will not do it...

If you have an hour to waste give it a try...i went around in circles with this for a full day and evening...

Allan

• Mastermind
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #8 on: May 11, 2015, 06:50:43 AM »
Sorry - my mistake. SP3 does require sp1, but you CAN do a slipstream of sp3 without sp1.