Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: problem with mp3 files in my music library on my pc  (Read 2968 times)

liam frisco

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    problem with mp3 files in my music library on my pc
    « on: May 21, 2015, 06:04:34 AM »
    hi!

wondered if anyone can help me out

ive got hundreds of music files stored in my "music" library on my pc and the icons which were once orange in colour have now turned white and they don't play at all

when I click on one the system just freezes

ive got a few music files on my desktop and these play ok and are still orange in colour

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: problem with mp3 files in my music library on my pc
    « Reply #1 on: May 21, 2015, 06:34:27 AM »
    Have you run error-checking on your hard drive? If you havent, I'd start there first. Its as simple as right-clicking on your hard drive going to Properties, then selecting Tools Tab, and then Check Now. It may tell you that it will check on the next startup, and agree with this and then reboot your computer and let it go through the error checking of the checkdisk process. If the drive is healthy it will get through this pretty quickly. If it finds problems it will try to fix the problems.

I have seen this happen before with a drive that has its file tables messed up so hoping this will be the fix for you.

liam frisco

Topic Starter

« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2015, 06:43:51 AM »
      hi dave, I have not done this, can you let me know how , where do I go to start with?

DaveLembke

Sage
      « Reply #3 on: May 21, 2015, 09:13:33 AM »
      Go to your Hard Drive at My Computer and select C: drive, "assuming the data is located on the C: drive and no other drives are present where the data is located". With the drive selected perform the following:

Its as simple as right-clicking on your hard drive
       going to Properties,
       then selecting Tools Tab,
       and then Check Now.

The system may report that this will be completed on the next boot. Agree to this and reboot computer. When computer boots do not make any selections to any messages, let the system run the queued process in the boot instruction which you be a checkdisk process which it will run on its own. When it is done it will bring you to logon screen or automatically logon if you don't have a password protected system. During the process you will see it go through 5 steps. It may show info scrolling if it finds problems and tries to correct for the problems. If it reports any bad sectors then your drive is ill and we can go from there if you state you have that problem.

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      « Reply #4 on: May 21, 2015, 11:30:42 AM »
      It could be also the file association got wonked...right clik one of them and see what app wants to open it by default...
      If it's the wrong app then select the proper one from the drop down menu...
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

DaveLembke

Sage
      « Reply #5 on: May 21, 2015, 12:49:39 PM »
      Because of this:

ive got a few music files on my desktop and these play ok and are still orange in colour

I assumed that they didnt get wonked with file association problems, but its still quite possible that they were wonked if different format than that of the ones in the messed up library. So definitely worth them checking into this if they can get that far without it freezing. The freezing part of it to me seems like there may be data corruption or a damaged hard drive.

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      « Reply #6 on: May 21, 2015, 12:55:42 PM »
      Agreed...
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

WhiteCollar

Starter

• Experience: Familiar
        « Reply #7 on: June 02, 2015, 03:08:22 AM »
        Hi,

Did you find the problem? Happened to me also...In my case it was the fact that there was no more default app to open the files, as patio suggests :)