Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Time for new memory and/or vid card?  (Read 7830 times)

Mike Dizzy

Re: Time for new memory and/or vid card?
« Reply #30 on: November 14, 2005, 11:35:47 AM »
From what I understand I'm not using the ethernet card. When I uninstalled it nothing stopped working (to my knowledge).
The safest thing (for my computer) for me to do would be to just reinstall it. I just have to find the software...

On another note, Ewido found over 300 problems and fixed all of them. (It's crazy how some things find them and others don't).
I'm going to reboot and see if it's any different.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #31 on: November 14, 2005, 11:38:48 PM »
Don't bother re-installing it if you're not currently using it.
Make sure it's removed in Control Panel not just disabled. I have seen device drivers bang heads with each other even though one of the two was disabled.

Go back into Safe Mode and run all your anti malware apps one more time to see if anything is re-appearing...save Ewido for last.

If all checks out clean defrag, do a disk clean and reboot into normal mode and run for a few hours to see how it is.

If OK great. If not we'll have to take further steps so post back.

patio.  8)
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Mike Dizzy

« Reply #32 on: November 15, 2005, 08:53:59 PM »
O_O

I'm defragging right now. I currently have 37% free space on my main drive. It's estimated that when all's done, I'll have approx. 42%.
Slight difference really...
I'll let you know what happens when I'm all done defragging and rescanning.

Mike Dizzy

« Reply #33 on: November 16, 2005, 08:13:13 PM »
The computer's running better than it was when this whole thing started.
Whether or not there is a definitive answer to what's causing the slowing, I should still upgrade parts as I go along. She's getting old and has been through a lot.
Thanks a ton for all your help!