Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Laptop shut off without warning while charging and will not turn back on.  (Read 2660 times)

StevenMal

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Beginner
    In February while using my laptop (Alienware M18x r2) it turned off immediately without any warning while it was plugged in to charge. There wasn't any notice that the laptop was going to turn off or that I should plug in the laptop to avoid losing any unsaved data. It won't turn back on with or without the charger. When the charger is plugged into a socket the charger light comes on but charger light it goes off when I plug the charger into the laptop and the laptop won't charge or turn on. I should also mention that the first time I tried to plug in the laptop with the battery still inside there was a spark. I removed the battery, plugged in the charger to the laptop and it sounded like the plug/jack short circuited. I was not using a surge protector at the time. I have no idea why this happened or how to fix it. One recommendation was to replace the spark plug but I'm not convinced that is the problem.

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    One recommendation was to replace the spark plug but I'm not convinced that is the problem

Hopefully your computer doesn't require a spark plug as seen here: http://www.techeblog.com/index.php/tech-gadget/world-s-first-gasoline-powered-pc

It sounds like the power jack is damaged and requires servicing. If your not familiar with use of a soldering iron and do not want to chance trashing the main board, I would find a business that services laptops and have them quote you on the repair.

Sparks when plugging into the laptop should not occur and its likely that their is damage that requires a professional to troubleshoot to what extent the damage exists and if it can be repaired or require a replacement board. For a laptop like this the cost of materials to repair it could be cheap if just the power jack damaged to upwards of a few hundred dollars if requiring a replacement main board.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    One recommendation was to replace the spark plug but I'm not convinced that is the problem.

Not sure why you don't think it's the issue...it is.
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "