Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: New Cartridge Goof  (Read 2646 times)

DianneQ

Topic Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    New Cartridge Goof
    « on: May 26, 2015, 09:53:02 AM »
    I have an HP Laser Jet Pro 400 Color printer-M451dn.  I was replacing the black ink cartridge this morning and walked away for a few minutes.  I was very focused on finishing a project I'm working on so when I returned I immediately printed a paper and completely forgot to finish the process of installing a new cartridge.  The page with a large block of black ink plus the words "cleaning page" and an arrow printed.  My prints are now fuzzy and the ink is slightly green toned.  I tried opening my HP tool box but it isn't opening.  I took the black cartridge out and put it back in hoping I could pick up where it left off but that didn't work.  I've turned the printer off and back on but nothing changed.  I'm sure it's obvious that I'm a novice...Any help would be appreciated!

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    Re: New Cartridge Goof
    « Reply #1 on: May 26, 2015, 01:04:49 PM »
    It may merely be miswording, but a Laser printer doesn't use ink. Presumably, you mean toner. I certainly hope so, at least!

What steps for replacement of the toner cartridge  did you complete?

If you somehow did install an actual Ink (rather than toner) cartridge... well I don't even want to imagine what may have happened. I just hope that was misworded!
    I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #2 on: May 26, 2015, 01:28:20 PM »
    Quack search on 'HP Laser Jet Pro 400 Color printer' shows an office style lasewr printer that takes toner. The full set is four toners.
    For what its worth, here is a review of that laser:
    http://www.pcworld.com/article/251612/hp_laserjet_pro_400_color_m451nw_review_nice_laser_printer_is_duplex_deprived.html
    The review was somewhat critical of the quality of the printer.
    Expensive toner and the lack of automatic duplexing make this small-office printer less appealing than it could be.
    :(

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    « Reply #3 on: May 26, 2015, 03:37:17 PM »
    Since there is a colour fringe it might not be unreasonable to remove and reinstall all the toner cartridges.

I cannot find any details but going back all the way to the Apple Laserwriter I seem to recall that the Toner cartridges are not simply toner cartridges, but also house mechanical components including the transfer drum that transfers the toner to the page.

A full-toner page is when the drum isn't charged fully. Which might not be unexpected if improperly installed. (or for a first run through).

I know my Laserjet 200 Pro has a "calibration" as well as an "initialization" feature which may be involved in preventing issues such as fringing. Perhaps the improper installation issues could be remedied by running a similar process on the Pro 400?

I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.