Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Administrator password  (Read 4261 times)

KerryE

Topic Starter

Beginner

Administrator password
    « on: February 16, 2015, 04:51:59 AM »
    I do not know my Administrator password so I cannot install new software etc.

HP Compaq 8200 Elite Ultra-slim - Win 7
    I removed this pc from an old kiosk unit that I got for free. When I took it apart found above pc in it which was good. The kiosk is from Germany originally and I am unable to get the password from them.

In explorer I can see there are a few 'users', and I managed to change the password of one of the users so I can get the computer working.

But the problem is that I can't load new software etc because a window always opens asking for 'Administartor' password.

Is there any way around this? Or does windows have to be installed (I do not have the cd's)

many thanks

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Administrator password
    « Reply #1 on: February 16, 2015, 05:59:19 AM »
    When it comes to previously used PC's i always do a wipe and a clean install...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

KerryE

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2015, 04:02:23 PM »
      I have not got the Win Pro 7 cd to reinstall the software, but I have the product key on a sticker on the computer.

Can I do a re-install as you suggest? , where can I find idiot proof instructions  :)

Mist3rdisc0

Rookie

• Yes
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Guru
      « Reply #3 on: February 16, 2015, 04:26:06 PM »
      You can try this http://www.w7forums.com/threads/official-windows-7-sp1-iso-image-downloads.12325/ to download an ISO of the Windows 7 OS. From there, burn the ISO image to a DVD using something like ImgBurn or other Image writing software.

Once you have it burned to disc, treat it like a standard installation disc/media, use and activate your key, and you're ready to go.

Hope this helps :)
      It is my intention to give back where possible through the knowledge I've gained over the course of my experience both personally and professionally throughout my life. I try to accomplish this in a polite, and friendly manner, as I too had to begin somewhere. :)

KerryE

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2015, 04:57:23 PM »
        A couple of questions (as I am not an expert).....

- how do I find out if I need the x86 or the x64 version of win 7?
        - after I download the 'ISO' to a dvd, do you know where instructions might be on what to do next?
        - will I be able to register the software with the key number I have?

many thanks

Mist3rdisc0

Rookie

• Yes
        « Reply #5 on: February 16, 2015, 05:42:47 PM »
        To know if you need x86 or x64, you have to know whether the processor you have is 64-bit, which after looking up the specifications for that particular model series, it DOES indeed come with a 64-bit compatible processor.

I forget whether OEM product keys are architecture specific (meaning they will only work as a 32-bit or 64-bit key, not as both) but I know the retail copies ship with both 32-bit and 64-bit architectures, so it may actually work with either. The chances are greater that it was shipped with a 64-bit installation of Windows 7; 32-bit setups are fairly rare with Windows 7 (starter edition excluded). So, download the 64-bit version.

As for working with ISO's, you will need a software package that understands how to work with ISO images, such as ImgBurn or Active ISO(both of which are free - simply do a google search for a download link). Once you've installed an ISO burner, you will need a blank DVD and a DVD-writer/burner.

Generally, software will come with a help file (or online instructions) that can guide you through the process of burning an image. Usually the steps involve opening the software, clicking a button or using the "File" menu to open an ISO image to burn to disc. Once an ISO image is selected (this would be your 64-bit windows 7 ISO file), there is usually a button to "burn image to disc". Once complete, you should have a bootable copy of windows 7 installation media.

As you suspected, you will need your 25-digit product key (found on the Certificate of Authenticity, or COA), and an active internet connection with working driver, or telephone to complete activation. You don't have to complete activation right away, they give a grace period of a couple days, or so.

[WARNING: do not just copy the ISO file as-is to a blank DVD! This will not work or be bootable! You have to extract the files contained inside the ISO file using ISO burning software]

If you get stuck, just report back with whether you were able to download the windows 7 ISO, and what ISO burning software you downloaded/installed, and we can go from there. :)
        It is my intention to give back where possible through the knowledge I've gained over the course of my experience both personally and professionally throughout my life. I try to accomplish this in a polite, and friendly manner, as I too had to begin somewhere. :)

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #6 on: February 16, 2015, 06:24:21 PM »
        The COA sticker will tell you which version you have...with the COA sticker no need to pay for Win again...just DLoad the matching version and use your code to authenticate it...
        " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

KerryE

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2015, 10:16:09 AM »
          I have made a win 7 64 bit ISO dvd, I am booting from the dvd and after going through a few steps a screen opens saying 'Where do you want to install Windows'...

There is a window with 3 partitions shown labelled as:
          Disk 0 Partition 1:System 100MB - Disk 0 Partition 2:OS 222GB - Disk 0 Partition 3:HP Recovery
          but I cannot go any further as there is a message on the screen which says 'Windows cannot be installed to Disk 0 Partition x' and when I expand this message it says 'Windows cannot be installed to this disk. The selected disk has an MBR partition table. On EFI systems, Windows can only be installed to GPT disks.' This happens whatever of the partitions I select.

Can anyone help  ???

KerryE

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2015, 10:24:45 AM »
            I just found this http://www.howtogeek.com/forum/topic/how-to-do-a-clean-install-of-windows-7-8

Perhaps I need to reformat the disk as shown in the above guide???

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
            • Geek After Dark
              • Gekk9pm bnlog
            • Experience: Expert
            « Reply #9 on: May 29, 2015, 11:41:18 AM »
            KerryE, that is a nice link.  Thanks fro shearing.
            It explains how to clean the partition information from Disk 0 and reboot.
            I didn't know sou could do it that way.  :)

Allan

• Mastermind
            « Reply #10 on: May 29, 2015, 11:52:03 AM »
            KerryE, that is a nice link.  Thanks fro shearing.
            It explains how to clean the partition information from Disk 0 and reboot.
            I didn't know sou could do it that way.  :)

What language is that?

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
            • Geek After Dark
              • Gekk9pm bnlog
            • Experience: Expert
            « Reply #11 on: May 29, 2015, 12:01:35 PM »
            What language is that?
            Oregonian.
            Oregon definition. State in the northwestern United States bordered by Washington to the north, Idaho to the east, Nevada and California to the south, and the Pacific Ocean to the west. Its capital is Salem, and its largest city is Portland.
            Address:
            Southern Oregon University
            1250 Siskiyou Boulevard
            Ashland, OR 97520

8)