Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Desktop icons  (Read 6432 times)

Guzeppi

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• Certifications: List
    • Experience: Beginner
    Desktop icons
    « on: June 05, 2015, 10:59:51 AM »
    When I try to copy an icon chosen from my apps list onto the desktop, I get a drop-down-menu which says, among other things,
    OPEN FILE LOCATION.   What is the next step I have to do plse?

And why does the said wording (Open File Location)not appear for other icons?

I am lost!

Thanks.

Joe
    GUZEPPI

soybean

Genius
    • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: Desktop icons
    « Reply #1 on: June 06, 2015, 08:05:33 AM »
    I think you will have to more precisely describe what you want to do.  Otherwise, your post is hard to make sense of.

I suggest you pick a specific app for this exercise and tell use the name of that app.  Do you want to put a shortcut to it on your desktop?  Do you want pin it to the Desktop's taskbar? 

Guzeppi

Topic Starter

Hopeful

• Certifications: List
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #2 on: June 07, 2015, 01:53:21 PM »
      Thks for your reply, and sorry for not answering earlier as I am a slowcoach at age 77 .

How do I send that icon to my desktop? I want it as an additional icon on the desktop, not pinned to the taskbar.

I have managed in one instance when I wanted to do this exercise for the apps icon called OPERA.  When I right-clicked on OPERA in the apps list, I got a short drop-down-menu that included the wording "Find file location."

From then on, the procedure was easy enough:  I accessed the file location, chose SEND TO and clicked on DESKTOP, but this does not work for many other apps in the apps list.  Don't know why!  The words "Find file location" never appear in the dropdown-menu when I choose many other apps !

Hope this makes my problem clear enough, and I thank you again for your support.

Joe B.
      GUZEPPI

soybean

Genius
      • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #3 on: June 07, 2015, 07:30:04 PM »
      I have managed in one instance when I wanted to do this exercise for the apps icon called OPERA.  When I right-clicked on OPERA in the apps list, I got a short drop-down-menu that included the wording "Find file location."

From then on, the procedure was easy enough:  I accessed the file location, chose SEND TO and clicked on DESKTOP, but this does not work for many other apps in the apps list.  Don't know why!  The words "Find file location" never appear in the dropdown-menu when I choose many other apps !
      Some info about your past computer experience would be helpful.  Did you use older versions of Windows before using Windows 8?  What versions were those? 

I suspect the problem is that you do not understand, or are not recognizing, that new apps introduced with Windows 8 such as Weather, Finance, News, Sports, etc. were not part of older versions of Windows, and these new apps only appear on the Windows 8/8.1 Start screen, not on the Desktop.  Programs such as Opera, which were around long before Win 8/8.1, can be setup in the manner you describe, with an icon on the Desktop and/or Desktop taskbar. 

This is why discussion of a specific app that you are not able to put an icon for on the desktop will help clear up this matter. 

« Last Edit: June 07, 2015, 07:40:50 PM by soybean »