Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Case and watercooling Advice  (Read 3186 times)

Lightdark

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Familiar
    Case and watercooling Advice
    « on: June 07, 2015, 11:25:41 AM »
    Hey guys, at first i wanna mainly ask about what case and what kind of best water-cooling option would you suggest for me. Price really doesn't matter.
    Although I am in the UK so it must be available in the EU.

First Specs  I am going for are follows:

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor (Pretty sure about this one)
    Motherboard:Asus MAXIMUS VII HERO ATX LGA1150 Motherboard (Pretty sure about this one)
    RAM: G.Skill Trident X 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (Might change)
    Storage: SSD: 850EVO 250GB and Seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive (Pretty sure about this one)
    GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 980TI (Not so sure but pretty sure)
    PSU: Antec High Current Pro Platinum 1000W 80+ Platinum Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply (Pretty sure)
    Optical Drive: Pioneer BDR-S09XLT Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer (Pretty sure)
    Sound Card: Asus Xonar Essence STX 24-bit 192 KHz Sound Card (pretty sure)
    Case Fans: Noctua NF-F12 PWM 55.0 CFM 120mm Fan (4x+ - Pretty sure)

Now the parts i need really help with is the case and cooling.

The cases I might wanna go for are: Cooler Master Cosmos II OR Corsair 900D
    I like Cosmos 2 little bit more cause it looks more cool but i think it doesn't fit triple radiators.
    If you know about any other case that can be used i take any ideas!:)

The other thing is cooling, I want Basic Water Cooling Loop - CPU and GPU
    What i want is advice about what to use, if there are any good kits that would fit for my socket and Case.
    But if someone can give me specific parts list or specific Kit that I can get which includes tubes, reservoir and everything else I will be verry happy.
    Price doesn't matter really but I don't want to spend more than £250 on the KIT.

Thank you for any advice!:)

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Case and watercooling Advice
    « Reply #1 on: June 07, 2015, 02:45:02 PM »
    The Cosmos II is more designed for air cooling than high-end water cooling, realistically for that setup you'll want at least 360mm worth of radiator, though 480mm would be better.  The 900D is one of the go-to cases for newbies to water cooling as well as experts simply because it offers enormous potential out of the box.  There are other options available, one that springs to mind is the Phanteks Enthoo Primo which also supports a 480mm top radiator, but if you like the cavernous 900D there's no reason you shouldn't go for it.

Really the WC components you buy will depend how you want your loop to look, but the basic list you'll need is: CPU block, GPU block, 480mm radiator (to go the easy route of one radiator in the top of the case with 4 x 120mm fans), pump, reservoir (you could get a pump/res combo but I normally recommend separate items) and 10 fittings, then say 3 or 4 meters of tubing so you have more than enough.
    Because there's so much choice out there you might want to speak to a retailer to build up a list that matches your preference in terms of looks - I can recommend www.overclockers.co.uk for this as they can help you decide what you want and their prices are usually fairly competitive, service is good too.  If you'd rather make your own decisions, no worries, I'm happy to help here (and I'm sure others are too) but there is a lot to go through with each component and I wouldn't want you to end up buying something you're not happy with the looks of.

Regarding your component list above the only thing I'll say is that your PSU is way overkill for your needs, a decent 750W unit would still provide you ample headroom for expansion and would save you money compared to that 1000W unit.  Total system power consumption with a GTX 980Ti is in the regiin of 400W here, add in some overclocking headroom and another 980Ti in case you want to go SLI and 750W is still adequate.

Lightdark

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2015, 05:17:25 PM »
      Hi thank you for great help!:)

As PSU goes yes I might ho lower, I want to do later SLI another 980TI but that has time.

Cases considering i really wanted Cosmos 2 because it just looks really cool!:) but Looks like i will buy 900D in the end:)still not 100% sure thou.

I did post on forums on overclockers but no one responded there:(

I also want to ask how big difference is there for Air cooling and water-cooling?
      At first i wanted to buy Noctua NH-D15, then i was like i really liked Swiftech H240-X but at the end friend convinced be to go full out with water cooling.
      The first two choices seems eazy but unfortunately I never did watercooling before, so I am worried I might *censored* up really badly.

So are those two options a big difference compared to some 480mm radiators water cooling loop?

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
        • Yes
      « Reply #3 on: June 08, 2015, 06:20:19 AM »
      As PSU goes yes I might ho lower, I want to do later SLI another 980TI but that has time.

Yeah, just saying even if you do a 750W unit will be fine.  It's not that buying a 1000W unit will harm anything, it's just spending more than you really need to.

Cases considering i really wanted Cosmos 2 because it just looks really cool!:) but Looks like i will buy 900D in the end:)still not 100% sure thou.

If you're considering air cooling, the Coolermaster will likely do a better job - will expand on this below.

I did post on forums on overclockers but no one responded there:(

Was it in the main forums, or on the customer service forums?  Could you PM me a link?

I also want to ask how big difference is there for Air cooling and water-cooling?

Essentially with water cooling you'll have more flexibility, e.g. you could have a very quiet watercooled setup that cooled as well as a noisy air cooler, or a noisy watercooled setup that cools better than any air cooled setup, or anything in between - you're limited only by your space and your budget.  That said, you're unlikely to gain much through watercooling in this instance, as you have the budget to buy an excellent air cooler (such as the NH-D15 you suggested) which will be both quiet and perform well, and the 980Ti won't be hugely loud either.  I have never recommended a closed-loop cooler such as the Corsair Hydro series, or many of the prebuilt kits, simply because they lose one of the main advantages of water-cooling which is flexibility and expansion.
      Taking into account what you've said, I'd advise either sticking with high-end air cooling, and choosing an appropriate case (the Cosmos II would be better for air cooling than the 900D), or going with proper water-cooling but perhaps getting someone to build it for you if you're unsure.  It's not enormously difficult but you do run the risk of causing damage, I built my first few watercooled systems with colleagues before I started going it alone and felt much more comfortable this way.
      Overclockers will build you a custom system or make changes to their range to suit you, and they do watercooled setups, so again it might be worth either posting on their customer support area or giving them a ring to discuss your options if you want to explore the idea of them building you a watercooled system. 

Hope this helps give you some food for thought :)

Lightdark

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2015, 06:31:10 AM »
        Now that u said that I am not sure, here is the link:

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18675246

Thank you for the great help btw, yeah I might go wit hair cooling and cosmos 2 in the end:)still I have some time to decide:)

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
          • Yes
        « Reply #5 on: June 08, 2015, 06:36:04 AM »
        It may be worth creating a new thread in their watercooling section here - http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=133 - for advice from members, or in their customer service section here - http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/forumdisplay.php?f=117 - for advice from staff (or if you fancy asking them to build it).

That said I'm happy to help you here with watercooling advice, but I do agree with one point from your thread there, that £250 may not be enough for your watercooling kit, so you may want to consider air cooling as it'll be cheaper and easier to build.