Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Computer Build Advice Needed  (Read 3223 times)

Ja3z

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Experience: Experienced
    Computer Build Advice Needed
    « on: June 13, 2015, 11:38:13 AM »
    Hello! I am a animator, graphics designer, i create music and try to design games / gamer in my spare time. I do some huge projects my current pc actually takes days / weeks to render some of my animation. I know more of the program side of computers and i am very experienced with the programs i use. But building a computer im pretty much hopeless at. I have done a bit of research and want to go all out on my build with no holding back so i guess my budget will be around £3000 for just the computer alone. My brother will be using this for his games to, hes pretty hardcore. Here what i have so far:

Case: NZXT H440 - https://www.nzxt.com/product/detail/143-h440-performance-mid-tower.html
    Monitors: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-S27D590CS-inch-Curved-Monitor/dp/B00N9PVZ7A x3 ( i need 3 monitors, its a must have. all must be running 60+ fps) - Will be buying 4k monitors in november due to new project.
    Motherboard: ASUS X-99 Deluxe - https://www.asus.com/uk/Motherboards/X99DELUXE/
    CPU: Intel 5960X Extreme 3.00 GHz -https://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=CP-550-IN
    RAM: Ballistix (8GB x2) DDR4-2666 - will be a full 32gb after computer is built. -
    GPU: ????
    PSU: Will calculate what i need after everything else is sorted.

Now i want to make sure that everything i have at the moment is compatible with each other component i have in mind. I have already got the case and motherboard and nothing else. Im looking for some main advice on the GPU, i have done some research i found that one powerful gpu is better then multiple but honestly im stuck. I really want to go towards the nvidia brand because i have used them before. Maybe maybe 2x 980s? (duno if they will fit??) now having very powerful graphics is very important to me to spot mistakes and errors in my work as i play them back. Dont be too harsh on me, honestly i have no idea what im doing so a few pointers in the right direction will be great.

Thanks in advanced for your time.
    « Last Edit: June 13, 2015, 11:49:08 AM by Ja3z »

camerongray

Expert
      • Yes
      • Cameron Gray - The Random Rambings of a Computer Geek
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Computer Build Advice Needed
    « Reply #1 on: June 13, 2015, 11:52:59 AM »
    Two 980s would certainly be a reasonable setup for that, the case will accommodate them fine and you can power that with a good 750-850w PSU.

Are you gaming across all 3 monitors or is that more just for screen space when working?  27" is very large for only being 1920x1080 and having 3 of them could be cumbersome in terms of size (I have a pair of 27" 2560x1440 monitors and they already take up a huge amount of space).  I'd suggest either getting fewer but higher resolution monitors (e.g. a pair of 2560x1440) if you don't plan on gaming in surround on them or if you do I'd recommend getting smaller monitors such as 22-24".  You should also go for ones with IPS panels such as Dell's Ultrasharp monitors for best colour reproduction and viewing angles.  I'd also recommend looking at the stand the monitors come with (assuming you plan on using them) to make sure they have good adjustment, that Samsung's stand looks totally fixed.

Curved monitors may also not be the best idea if you have multiple of them, you're going to end up with a very strange shape of monitors.

Ja3z

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2015, 11:59:34 AM »
      Two 980s would certainly be a reasonable setup for that, the case will accommodate them fine and you can power that with a good 750-850w PSU.

Are you gaming across all 3 monitors or is that more just for screen space when working?  27" is very large for only being 1920x1080 and having 3 of them could be cumbersome in terms of size (I have a pair of 27" 2560x1440 monitors and they already take up a huge amount of space).  I'd suggest either getting fewer but higher resolution monitors (e.g. a pair of 2560x1440) if you don't plan on gaming in surround on them or if you do I'd recommend getting smaller monitors such as 22-24".  You should also go for ones with IPS panels such as Dell's Ultrasharp monitors for best colour reproduction and viewing angles.  I'd also recommend looking at the stand the monitors come with (assuming you plan on using them) to make sure they have good adjustment, that Samsung's stand looks totally fixed.

Curved monitors may also not be the best idea if you have multiple of them, you're going to end up with a very strange shape of monitors.

Actually i already have the monitors from my previous set up. And they do make a perfect angle and shape surprisingly. I will be using all 3 for games, yes. And i have a custom bulit stand and desk ready for this. Monitors wasnt really the problem, its just the gpu i was worried about. There is a new 980ti will they work fine? I do want 2 GPUs, because honestly they is no room for error in my work and i must spot every bit of detail.

camerongray

Expert
        • Yes
      « Reply #3 on: June 13, 2015, 12:01:03 PM »
      Yeah, a pair of 980tis or regular 980s would work great for that setup.

Ja3z

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2015, 12:17:38 PM »
        Yeah, a pair of 980tis or regular 980s would work great for that setup.

Is there any other curved monitors you recommend around the samsung price range? like the colours on it are excellent but if you have any other possibilities because they are not really for gaming at all. I need 3 because 2 on games, i dont want a line down the middle, haha. Really thanks for your help. Does everything else look in order? i am going for water cooling system btw :)

camerongray

Expert
          • Yes
        « Reply #5 on: June 13, 2015, 12:28:25 PM »
        Is there any other curved monitors you recommend around the samsung price range?
        huh?  But you just said you already had the monitors.  And as I said, I would totally ignore curved monitors, unless it's an ultra-wide one it is more of a gimmick than anything.

Stick to high end IPS monitors such as the Dell Ultrasharps rather than gimmicky "gaming" ones.  A lot of the newer Ultrasharps also have absolutely tiny bezels which makes them great for surround gaming.

Ja3z

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2015, 01:21:09 PM »
          huh?  But you just said you already had the monitors.  And as I said, I would totally ignore curved monitors, unless it's an ultra-wide one it is more of a gimmick than anything.

Stick to high end IPS monitors such as the Dell Ultrasharps rather than gimmicky "gaming" ones.  A lot of the newer Ultrasharps also have absolutely tiny bezels which makes them great for surround gaming.

i do but i can sell them and look for some more. dare say they still worth some money, they in perfect shape. i shall look into it, thankyou very much

Ja3z

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2015, 01:37:13 PM »

EDIT:
            Im going for 3x these bad boys: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Samsung-U28D590D-inch-Ultra-Monitor/dp/B00IJS6PCC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1434224163&sr=8-1&keywords=samsung+u28d590d+28

Just created my build: http://uk.pcpartpicker.com/p/Hcwct6 Baring in mind that i have 2x GPU and 3 monitors i am now completely stuck on water cooling. Any help?
            « Last Edit: June 13, 2015, 02:23:11 PM by Ja3z »

camerongray

Expert
              • Yes
            « Reply #8 on: June 13, 2015, 03:15:42 PM »
            You have no chance of surround gaming on 4k monitors with current GPU technology, you need to rethink.  Also, as someone who claims to be a graphic designer, you should realise that that those have TN panels which do not have nearly as good colour reproduction or viewing angles as IPS ones.

For cooling, you don't really need water cooling - You could either get a closed loop liquid cooler like an H100i or a good air cooler like an NH-D14 - Both would perform around the same although the air cooler has much less that can go wrong with it.