Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Factory restore hard drive through another computer  (Read 3563 times)

kevinbsmith14

Topic Starter

• Experience: Familiar
    Factory restore hard drive through another computer
    « on: June 13, 2015, 02:28:13 PM »
    I'm using a Toshiba Satellite C-650. I entered the factory recovery mode by pressing "0" upon startup. The factory restore mode continued as it usually does (I had done this a few times before for maintenance). Right after the Warning screen I received an error: f3-fff6-0011. No one on the Toshiba forum was able to identify this error. I am now unable to boot windows in any mode.

What I want to do is take the HDD from the Toshiba, plug it into my Acer and either factory reset the HDD from my Acer or create a factory restore partition from the Acer, and then put the HDD back into the Toshiba. That way the windows copy that is tied to the Toshiba motherboard will still work... if this is possible.

Unless of course there is a way to exit the factory restore screen (which I am currently unable to exit on the Toshiba). I am unable to boot to Safe Mode as of the most recent boot attempt.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Factory restore hard drive through another computer
    « Reply #1 on: June 13, 2015, 04:46:30 PM »
    Putting it into another PC won't work...
    Replace the CMOS battery with all power and battery removed and start over...
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #2 on: June 14, 2015, 06:31:27 AM »
    Putting it into another PC won't work...

Would only work if built from same exact make/model computer. So if you had 2 of the same computer, you could build on one and relocate the drive to the other such as if you had a bad optical drive on one of them and had the recovery media on disc. But otherwise like patio stated it wont work. The factory restore media tests the system hardware to make sure that it can legally be installed to that hardware and so if you have a hardware combination that is not the same as what was original intended for the build, it will error out or refuse to restore to factory.

I'd try patios suggestion of:

Replace the CMOS battery with all power and battery removed and start over...

Fran49

Greenhorn
    • A Born Accident
      • Experience: Familiar
      « Reply #3 on: June 17, 2015, 12:34:10 PM »
       ::)    This is probably a dumb question but...what if you can't find the CMOS battery? I looked into every place on the bottom of my netbook (Acer Aspire One) and found nothing that even looked remotely like a coin.  ???

Computer_Commando

Hacker
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #4 on: June 17, 2015, 03:34:10 PM »
      ::)    This is probably a dumb question but...what if you can't find the CMOS battery? I looked into every place on the bottom of my netbook (Acer Aspire One) and found nothing that even looked remotely like a coin.  ???
      Netbooks & tablets don't have a CMOS battery, they use the main battery.

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #5 on: June 17, 2015, 04:49:46 PM »

You aren't even the person with the issue...i don't understand your point...
      On laptops sometimes the CMOS battery is hard to find...
      And i disagree with CC's consensus answer.
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "