Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Graphics made the same but display different size  (Read 2588 times)

cassiereroni

Topic Starter

Greenhorn
    • Game Of Trivia
  • Experience: Experienced
Graphics made the same but display different size
« on: June 18, 2015, 04:40:22 PM »
Hope I have the right forum for this question, if not can someone please direct me to the proper place?

I am the Owner/Admin of a small intimate trivia Group page on Facebook.  I have 3 other Admins that help me make up the questions and answers for our group.  I made up a template for everyone to use when making up questions.  All anyone has to do is add the question to the graphic and post the graphic to the page when needed.

I have required that everyone use the same font and font pts for the 2 main areas of text.  The font is to be Titania MF at 16 pt for the questions/answers and Titania MF 8 pt for the author's name and date. 

Myself and 2 other Admins...no problem.  Everything looks find and I have no problems.

One Admin is having some trouble and I don't know where else to look for an answer.  She is making the graphic using the text and fonts specified.  But when she uploads them to the Admin Practice page that I set up to train new admins in, her graphics are showing a LOT smaller. 

Her entire graphic shows smaller, including the banner.  I thought maybe it might have been some kind of change between 8 and 8.1 but that doesn't seem to be the case.  Then I thought maybe it was the resolution on her computer was smaller, but nope.  Not it.  Then I thought maybe it was because she uses Firefox and everyone else uses Chrome....again, Nope.  I downloaded Firefox and tested it.  The ones I made are fine. 

I'm at a loss.  I will try to upload an image of the two different graphics so you can see what I mean but being new to the forum I'm not sure if I can.  But I will try.

Thanks for any suggestions or help.

smh...I messed up. Wanted to upload 2 of the exact same graphics with the exact same wording but got a little trigger happy I guess.  But it still shows the difference.  The top graphic is what my Admin made the bottom is the one I made. 

Why are they displaying so differently in size?

[attachment deleted by admin to conserve space]
« Last Edit: June 18, 2015, 04:50:23 PM by cassiereroni »
Ever Mind The Rule Of Three
Three Times Your Acts Return To Thee
This Lesson Well, Thou Must Learn
Thou Only Gets What Thee Dost Earn

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Graphics made the same but display different size
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2015, 05:13:24 PM »
What tool is being used to edit the images?

I've just opened them both and the image properties on the image with much smaller text is seemingly corrupted. Whereas your image is a standard 72 ppi image, the "broken" image reports it is a 1x1 in units of "1" which doesn't seem to make any sense.
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

cassiereroni

Topic Starter

Greenhorn
    • Game Of Trivia
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2015, 05:17:23 PM »
We are both using microsoft Paint.  I made the template with paint and all editing is done with paint.

Are you saying that the template itself might be corrupt? Or some other cause?

I am going to try having her delete the template and emailing her another one.  Hope this takes care of the problem.

If it works I'll let you know as soon as I know.  If not I'll bug you some more.  How's that?  LOL

« Last Edit: June 18, 2015, 05:44:37 PM by cassiereroni »

cassiereroni

Topic Starter

Greenhorn
    • Game Of Trivia
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2015, 07:38:32 PM »
Nope, that didn't work.  Still showing up smaller.   :-[

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2015, 08:18:41 PM »
Are you saying that the template itself might be corrupt?

If you right click on your image (My 16 pt.jpg) and select Properties, you can go to the details Tab. With that image, You can see the horizontal and vertical resolution of 144dpi. This is your template file. I believe Photoshop was showing me "1" because 144 was too big to fit perhaps.

The "Jojo's Practice 16pt.jpg", following the same steps, reports 96dpi.

The question, of course, is why... and I haven't the faintest idea. I was thinking perhaps you have a higher-than-normal DPI setting, and opening the image on another system with a lower DPI changed it somehow, but I'm unable to reproduce it.

Are you both using the same Version of Windows? Perhaps your DPI settings differ in some fashion?
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

cassiereroni

Topic Starter

Greenhorn
    • Game Of Trivia
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2015, 11:03:19 PM »
Jojo's OS is win8.1 mine is win8. 

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2015, 01:26:13 AM »
My two cents.
For a simple graphical image, JPG is not needed. You could save it as a 16 color GIF and it will look good and have enough colors.

Maybe if you try GIF instead of JPG the problem will go away or might reveal the disparity.

cassiereroni

Topic Starter

Greenhorn
    • Game Of Trivia
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2015, 03:13:05 PM »
Okay, I will try that, see what happens and report back to you with any results.

cassiereroni

Topic Starter

Greenhorn
    • Game Of Trivia
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2015, 05:03:11 PM »
I am so sorry it took so long to get back to you.  I sent her the banner in a gif format and we played with it for a couple of days.  But finally a breakthrough!  She wasn't using the banner as I had instructed her too. Instead of pulling some white area in order to add the text, down from the bottom of the graphic, she was copying and pasting the banner into another graphic of just the white space.  smh....

At least I learned something through all of this.  If the properties end up looking like what she had, then it's a good bet there was some pasting going on. 

Thank you so much for your time!

cassiereroni