Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Can an SSD simultaneously function as both an OS drive and storage drive?  (Read 3400 times)

StevenMal

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Beginner
    I'll be ordering a Sager NP9377 soon and I want to know if I can still install programs on an SSD that has been configured as an OS drive. If I order the laptop with one SSD configured as an OS drive will I need a second SSD for programs and games or can I have the laptop preconfigured with only one SSD for the OS and also install more programs and games on it? Thanks.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    It depends on the size of the SSD. An SSD with an OS installed on it isn't locked in some fashion to only have the OS on it, you can use it just as you would a HDD.

I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

camerongray

Expert
      • Yes
      • Cameron Gray - The Random Rambings of a Computer Geek
    • Experience: Expert
    Your SSD will act just like a hard drive - It will appear as a C: drive in Windows and will do anything a hard drive will.  The only reason people tend to recommend separate storage drives is due to SSDs being lower in capacity.

DaveLembke

Sage
    The only need to have the OS and Storage Data on a separate drive would be if you run into a capacity limitation problem as BC stated in its size, however if you are using this system for say video editing in which you are working with large files and making changes to them in which there are excessive amounts of read/write instructions, by having the work area that the video editing is occurring at on a separate drive, the SSD as the OS drive wouldnt lag as a result of a communications bottleneck with that specific drive.

A few years ago I had a system with just a 90GB SSD in which the OS ate up 30GB of it for Windows 7 fully patched and of the 60GB remaining space 24GB of that was used by a video game leaving me with around 36GB storage area. I use a program called FRAPS to capture and record online game events with the group of people I play with, and FRAPS makes for very large video files which then need to be encoded down to a far smaller size than a raw video dump to disk. So I would have 18GB raw video dump files and use virtualdub64 and convert them to like 700MB AVI files and delete the original 18GB raw video dump file. But when this was happening the hard drive was extremely busy with read/write conditions as its processing this very large video file to make it into a nice 700MB AVI file to share on youtube with the group of friends.

When the system was encoding the video file the SSD while fast, was busy and so everything else you wanted to do during that time lagged with opening games and programs.

By adding a separate drive for this video editing/converting could occur on,  the lag I had with wanting to play games while this is happening was gone as for the much older 164.7GB SATA HDD while a slower SATA 1.5 drive, was handling all the conversion process read/writes and my SSD was pretty much running idle ready to jump at the occasion to retrieve information quickly.

Lastly, for my config I changed my swap file to be targeted on the HDD vs the SSD because the video conversion process even though I have 4GB of DDR2 800Mhz RAM, was swap intensive and with default of C: for the swap space which was my SSD, so I let the HDD handle it all. The video games while they too use the swap file didnt seem to have a bad performance hit using the swap space on the HDD that is busy with the video conversion.

If your not video editing and the drive is large enough to allow for the OS and Storage to work in harmony then the single drive will be just fine. Just make sure you dont get too small of a SSD as for I ran into a problem with an older system I have that I installed a 40GB SSD with Windows 7 on it and Windows 7 use to consume only 18GB space clean install, but after all the updates it grows. Currently Windows 7 is 27.3GB so it grew about 9.3GB in size since installed clean from Disc about 2 years ago. On the 40GB SSD while storage space was already kind of tight I made the mistake of installing programs in the free area when I was at 18GB for OS size, 1GB for user profiles, and had about 4GB free space. As Windows 7 swelled in size as patches forced it to consume more space I soon found that the SSD was out of free space and Windows 7 updates were failing. I then had to uninstall and reinstall programs to the other HDD in the system and get them off of the SSD so that Windows 7 could continue to grow in size with patches from Microsoft as well as perform some profile cleanup to get rid of unnecessary files that were sitting in the user profile space which was also on the SSD.

With SSD's cheap these days, I wouldnt buy any that were lesser than 120GB in which the last SSD I got was 240GB for $125 for a Crucial M500  240GB SSD

StevenMal

Topic Starter

Rookie

Ok, thank you. Just curious, how much storage space does an OS use on an SSD right now? I'll be getting Windows 8.1. I'm considering getting the 256GB Micron M600 SSD with a 1TB HDD for my Sager NP9377. This is my first experience with an SSD so I'll be putting the OS on it and maybe some apps and a few games that I use frequently. From my understanding you're supposed to leave at least 20% of SSD storage unused to keep the SSD from losing performance.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      From my understanding you're supposed to leave at least 20% of SSD storage unused to keep the SSD from losing performance.
      Urban legends, book 3.  8)

coastie65

Rookie

• Yes
      An SSD, like a Hdd, doesn't use all of the space. With a 1Tb SSD, like a 1Tb Hdd, you actually have 931 Gb to use. Unlike Hdds, You can use up most of the space and it doesn't really affect performance. I had a 256 Gb in here that I tended to nearly fill up, and it did fine. I now have a 1 Tb SSD in here and will probably put the 256 Gb one in my PS3.
      Cooler Max 912 HAF Case, ASUS Z87-Pro MOBO, i7 4770k CPU OC'd to 4.6 Ghz, 16 GB of GSkill Ripjaws Series X 2133 Mhz Ram, EVGA GTX 980, Gelid Tranquillo cooler, 2 1Tb WD Caviar Black HDDs, Samsung Series 850 EVO 1 Tb SSD, Corsair AX850w PSU, LITE-ON iHAS124-04 Optical drive. Running Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit