Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Assembled new build- now stuck. Please Help!  (Read 3427 times)

Cadence

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Experience: Beginner
    Assembled new build- now stuck. Please Help!
    « on: June 24, 2015, 07:42:58 PM »
    I would really appreciate any bits of advice regarding this. I just purchased a bunch of parts that I confirmed were compatible, and assembled them.

Unfortunately - though my assembly would indeed start, and all the parts worked (and all the LED's lighted up) - the connection to the monitor (Dell 27" P2715Q) would not work. My monitor kept saying that there was no DP connection detected. Furthermore, the error message B4  kept popping up on my motherboard's Debug LED monitor which according to the manual means: "USB device hot plug in"

Not sure what this meant, so I googled it and read numerous accounts of people getting this message, then disassembling everything from their computer, including the graphics card, so I did so:

Then it was just my motherboard connected to the monitor via displayport cable. Unfortunately, though the computer started once more, the monitor connection just wasn't made and the Debug LED monitor then read A6 which stands for "Detect and install all currently connected SCSI devices."

I'm not sure what to do at this point, and before assembling/disassembling/ throwing any more of my components, I was wondering if anyone here had any insight. Much obliged!

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    Re: Assembled new build- now stuck. Please Help!
    « Reply #1 on: June 24, 2015, 08:07:04 PM »
    I think the code being displayed is likely Ab, not A6.

Allegedly, this means a more-or-less successful boot, where it is waiting for user input (Press F1 to enter setup, boot failure, etc.)

Some users of the board claim they can only see the BIOS if they plug in their HDMI/DP Port connectors after the system has booted, or by using VGA. Others claim this to be fixed in later BIOS revisions, as well. It's also possible that the monitor can't sync to the lower resolution (maybe specific to Display Port), which seems like a possibility since it is a 4K display. Of course given that the only way to connect it is with DisplayPort, the best way to verify that is to use another monitor.
    I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Cadence

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #2 on: June 24, 2015, 08:38:06 PM »
      Thank you for the response. I also have a mac wireless keyboard (am making a hackintosh) so it may explain why it's not recognizing my keyboard when I plug it in. Might look into a wired keyboard and a less high-tech monitor to test it on.

Still not sure about the b4 that shows up when everything is plugged in though. What do you make of that?

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
        • Yes
        • Yes
        • BC-Programming.com
      « Reply #3 on: June 24, 2015, 08:56:34 PM »
      Still not sure about the b4 that shows up when everything is plugged in though. What do you make of that?

I believe that may be related to "legacy USB" settings allowing use of the Keyboard or Mouse to be used as standard PS/2 devices. I found some posts from a few years ago where users with the error fixed it by disabling "legacy USB" in their BIOS.

Of course if you plugging in or unplugging any USB devices while the system is on it would explain the error as well. It might not like the Monitor's USB Hub (it looks like it has a USB Cable which I guess would be part of everything)

Cadence

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2015, 09:24:49 PM »
        Gotcha. I have unplugged the monitor's USB and tried to boot both with and without my wireless mouse/keyboard plugged in to no avail. I also tried those two permutations with the DP cable initially in as well as the DP cable connected after the Ab shows up on the Debug LED.

The next step will be to buy and HDMI cable and try to see if that will work. If not I may look up a VGA monitor. Thank you for the leads, I will keep you posted on how it's coming.

Cadence

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2015, 09:32:06 PM »
          Update: I just noticed that the Ab code changes to b4 when I allow the Ab to show up and then plug in the mouse, keyboard, and Monitor. However still no image.

coastie65

Rookie

• Yes
          « Reply #6 on: June 26, 2015, 06:53:39 PM »
          With no DP, THat mother board has both VGA and DVI ports for the Integrated Graphics. Remove the Card and, I am assuming you are using a DVI cable. Hook it ot the DVI port on the MOBO and then the monitor. If you get an image then most likely the Video card is dead.
          Cooler Max 912 HAF Case, ASUS Z87-Pro MOBO, i7 4770k CPU OC'd to 4.6 Ghz, 16 GB of GSkill Ripjaws Series X 2133 Mhz Ram, EVGA GTX 980, Gelid Tranquillo cooler, 2 1Tb WD Caviar Black HDDs, Samsung Series 850 EVO 1 Tb SSD, Corsair AX850w PSU, LITE-ON iHAS124-04 Optical drive. Running Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
            • Yes
            • Yes
            • BC-Programming.com
          « Reply #7 on: June 26, 2015, 07:07:15 PM »
          They have already removed the card. They aren't using a DVI Cable, they are using a DisplayPort cable. The Monitor they are using only has HDMI and DisplayPort connections.

Cadence

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2015, 08:45:19 PM »
            I took my motherboard to the nearest microcenter. they ran diagnostics and told me to send the motherboard back. In the meantime I purchased another motherboard from the microcenter:

ASUS Z97 Sabertooth Mark 2

Unfortunately this one wont boot either -  I first tried it bare bones (without anything except CPU, cooler, and motherboard connected to monitor), then connected everything and still no response. I am about to return this second one and just have microcenter build it from the parts, even though most of them are already assembled

I have no idea what's wrong - I put the RAM in all the way, the cooler is installed correctly per microcenter, I just used a pea-sized dab of thermal paste, and i stayed grounded while opening the new motherboard. the CPU and the ATX power supplies are both plugged in. Still nothing.