Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Chromebook keyboard errors  (Read 7066 times)

punk8

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    Chromebook keyboard errors
    « on: July 03, 2015, 09:28:36 AM »
    my c key gives zcvx,m_: , my, think it was 7 &/ or y &/or t keys seem to put it in sleep mode. hardware issue? Read somewhere an EC resetting helps... Its a Toshiba cb30. Thoughts?

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Chromebook keyboard errors
    « Reply #1 on: July 03, 2015, 11:03:55 AM »
    I'm thinking that the keyboard is damaged. The & in place of 7 could indicate that its a stuck shift key, however if the shift key was stuck you should be getting  capital letters in place of lower case etc and your getting results different than that. If its not the keyboard then it could be keyboard controller on the main board is damaged. Given that chrome books are cheap computers sold pretty much as disposable systems given their price tags in the $200 range, you might find out that its best to just get a new chromebook. However if you want to take a gamble and spend some money in the process, I would try a keyboard swap for it with a new one. One other thing that might work, however I do not have a chromebook or have even owned one to know if this would work or not, but if you had a USB corded desktop computer keyboard and plugged that in and everything behaved with the desktop keyboard attached using the desktop keyboard then you would know that its with 99% certainty that its a bad keyboard in the chromebook and not a software config that is forcing the keyboard to malfunction. I have had good luck on amazon buying cheap replacement parts for laptops. I got a Dell keyboard for a Dell C610 for $15 and it installed with no problems. Ebay is the other location to get parts. It may be easiest to open the chromebook and look to see if there is a part # sticker on the bottom of it so that you get the exact keyboard for it as for sometimes keyboards state they work with specific model ranges and then you find that yours has a different tab or mount setup.

punk8

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #2 on: July 03, 2015, 11:58:59 AM »
      tried plugging in a USB keyboard & it workes like a charm, unlike the main, chromebook keyboard. might have to open the main keyboard & fasten some cables, mb?

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #3 on: July 03, 2015, 12:32:29 PM »
      The keyboard is metier damaged or very dirty.
      Be very careful about removing the keyboard.
      Here is YouTube on how to remove a laptop keyboard.
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xbhwu95zknc
      How that helps.  :)