Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Setting up a multi user home network from a single tower  (Read 2829 times)

OliverJ102

Topic Starter

• Experience: Experienced
    Setting up a multi user home network from a single tower
    « on: July 07, 2015, 06:40:22 AM »
    Hi there,

My current PC is starting to get dated by my standards (2 years old now) and my wife's computer is now gone as I salvaged it for repair parts. Rather then buy two new computers I am hoping there is a way to build a single tower with a very good spec, and use two wireless monitors that can connect to the 2 separate user accounts at the same time, essentially allotting half the memory to each user account so we can both be on at one time and set up shop anywhere in the wireless range. Is this setup a practical possibility? and if so where would anyone suggest looking into it more from both a practicality and monetary perspective.

Thanks

camerongray

Expert
      • Yes
      • Cameron Gray - The Random Rambings of a Computer Geek
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Setting up a multi user home network from a single tower
    « Reply #1 on: July 07, 2015, 12:30:10 PM »
    It is possible but is not remotely worth it, the software is tricky to get working and the monitors would need to be directly connected to the machine.  Not to mention that desktop versions of Windows are not designed for multiple users actually using the system at once, they can do it, but you could start running into unexpected issues.

What you are trying to do sounds like you would be much better off just getting two laptops or giving your wife your machine (2 years old is hardly that "dated") and buy one new system for yourself.

Computer_Commando

Hacker
    « Reply #2 on: July 07, 2015, 03:19:07 PM »
    I agree.  Get a 2nd computer.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    « Reply #3 on: July 08, 2015, 05:36:52 PM »
    They are right. Only a few business users still use several terminals to one computer. Even schools now are doing one computer to each student.
    Reference:
    http://www.smithsonianmag.com/ist/?next=/innovation/unleashing-the-power-of-one-computer-for-every-student-21449488/

So just get two computers.  :)