Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Is this computer okay for gaming?  (Read 2597 times)

Thatlittlecookie

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Experience: Beginner
    Is this computer okay for gaming?
    « on: July 07, 2015, 12:15:24 PM »
    I recently bought this laptop but im not sure if its good enough for gaming. Can someone tell me how good mylaptop is capable of doing?

4th Generation Intel Core i7-4510U Processor (3.10GHz Turbo, 2.00GHz Base 1600MHz 4MB)
    Intel Dual Band Wireless-AC 3160
    Full HD 1080p Display (1920x1080) with 720p HD Webcam
    1TB Hard Drive / Windows 8.1 / DVD Drive
    8.0GB PC3-12800 DDR3L SDRAM 1600 MHz / Bluetooth Version 4.0

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    Re: Is this computer okay for gaming?
    « Reply #1 on: July 08, 2015, 01:06:58 AM »
    The integrated Intel graphics will be capable of playing older games and maybe some less demanding newer games on low/medium settings.  Without dedicated graphics, this isn't really intended as a gaming machine.

Thatlittlecookie

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2015, 06:22:27 AM »
      Is it possible to add a new graphic card? Ik that you cant replace an integrated graphic card but can you add a new one ?

camerongray

Expert
        • Yes
        • Cameron Gray - The Random Rambings of a Computer Geek
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #3 on: July 08, 2015, 07:28:51 AM »
      Unfortunately not.  With laptops you need to buy them with the graphics card and CPU you want from the very start.

Thatlittlecookie

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2015, 11:51:06 AM »
        But overall is my laptop good like for work, business, reports, entertainment,... etc.?

Calum

• Egghead

• Yes
          • Yes
        « Reply #5 on: July 08, 2015, 11:53:04 AM »
        I would say so, yes - the only upgrade I would consider is an SSD to replace your HDD, as your system will feel much more responsive with an SSD.  If you're happy with it as it is though I don't see a pressing need to spend any more on it until you want to :)

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
        • Geek After Dark
          • Gekk9pm bnlog
        « Reply #6 on: July 08, 2015, 01:19:00 PM »
        The integrated Intel graphics will be capable of playing older games and maybe some less demanding newer games on low/medium settings.  Without dedicated graphics, this isn't really intended as a gaming machine.
        Calum , I don't want to agree nor disagree. Consider this. Intel has put a lot of money and time into its new CPU design. The have the people and tools needed to make the best of whatever they want. If they really believed separate chips were the hay to go, why don't they?
        Intel history has examples of where Intel would put onto one chip the stuff that used to be separate. Dual core instead to two separate CPUs. Match processors on the same chip. Cached memory on the chip.  These offered both economic and technical advantages.
        Why would a separate Graphics thing be better?  Aside from genomic advances, there are technical resins to put graphics and the core on the same chip.Speed.
        Are there real benchmarks out there that show separate  graphics perform better? Curious minds need to know.  :)

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
        • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
          • Yes
          • Yes
          • BC-Programming.com
        « Reply #7 on: July 08, 2015, 01:46:23 PM »
        Consider this. Intel has put a lot of money and time into its new CPU design. The have the people and tools needed to make the best of whatever they want. If they really believed separate chips were the hay to go, why don't they?

Because they manufacture CPUs, not Graphics adapters.

Intel history has examples of where Intel would put onto one chip the stuff that used to be separate. Dual core instead to two separate CPUs. Match processors on the same chip. Cached memory on the chip.  These offered both economic and technical advantages.

The point of integration is so you can get basic, standard capabilities without having to purchase additional hardware. Most motherboards have on-board Audio and Graphics that will work for basic tasks, But dedicated sound and Graphics adapters will still outperform or be better than those integrated solutions for many tasks.

Why would a separate Graphics thing be better?

A Graphics Processor designed specifically for processing vertices and with hardware support for 3-D graphics capabilities, Dedicated, Graphics memory that operates at a significantly faster speed than system memory and with a much wider bus width to the Graphics processor, as well as being able to function independent of the system CPU, which of course isn't typically possible for an integrated graphics card which has to share DMA with the main processor. (possible exception for some AMD chips which effectively have Radeon GPUs integrated into them)

Are there real benchmarks out there that show separate  graphics perform better? Curious minds need to know.  :)

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2139341/tested-why-almost-every-pc-could-use-a-video-card-upgrade.html
        I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        « Reply #8 on: July 08, 2015, 04:18:09 PM »
        Sorry...that was supposed to be a PM.
        " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
        • Geek After Dark
          • Gekk9pm bnlog
        « Reply #9 on: July 08, 2015, 06:33:44 PM »
        BC_Programmer,
        Thanks for the link. I will read it. I want to know the facts. :)
        That link is to PC World article :
        "Why almost every PC could use a video card upgrade."
        AMD and Intel have significantly improved the graphics technologies integrated into their respective CPUs. AMD’s Kaveri-class Accelerated Processing Units (APUs) incorporate the same powerful Graphics Core Next (GCN) architecture of its best discrete Radeon-series graphic processors.

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        « Reply #10 on: July 08, 2015, 06:43:11 PM »
        It's a laptop Geek...
        " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "