Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Usb 3.0 diy attempt at vga?  (Read 5229 times)

Bhnighraith

Topic Starter

• Experience: Familiar
    Usb 3.0 diy attempt at vga?
    « on: July 22, 2015, 11:35:01 PM »
    Ok, so I'm not the most computer savy, but I can usually muddle my way through...but this one has me stumped. I'be been trying to hook up an external monitor to my Lenovo ThinkPad via the usb 3.0 port.....but I'm actually trying to make it using a foxconn c12782-001 internal ribbon av 9 pin connector and a mix of other old usb and av ports and cables I've got laying around......(don't ask)..lol anyway, if anyone can shoot me any pinout info or advice I'd be grateful. Thx

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Usb 3.0 diy attempt at vga?
    « Reply #1 on: July 23, 2015, 05:41:52 AM »
    If you think your going to make it work by just mixing a VGA plug cable with a USB cable, its NOT going to work and you will likely destroy your monitor or USB port.

You need to buy an adapter that can communicate via USB with a printed circuit board inside a device that then creates analog video signal for VGA. You will also need a driver to make this work and so you would be best to BUY A USB VGA ADAPTER which will come with software and warranty in cae something goes wrong, which shouldnt with an actual USB VGA adapter intended to be used as such.

camerongray

Expert
      • Yes
      • Cameron Gray - The Random Rambings of a Computer Geek
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Usb 3.0 diy attempt at vga?
    « Reply #2 on: July 23, 2015, 06:37:13 AM »
    What you are trying to do is impossible, you will need to either connect the monitor to a proper video connector on the laptop such as VGA, displayport, HDMI.etc or buy a commercial USB to VGA converter such as this: http://www.amazon.com/Plugable-Graphics-Multiple-Displays-1920x1080/dp/B004D0QC0A/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1437654974&sr=8-5&keywords=usb+to+vga

Do not try and make your own cable, as Dave says - It will not work and you will likely end up breaking something.