Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Batch rename file with barcode  (Read 5171 times)

Vincent

Topic Starter

• Experience: Experienced
    Batch rename file with barcode
    « on: July 22, 2015, 01:27:44 PM »
    Hi,

I'm looking for a software or maybe some source code I can use to do the following:

1- Watch a folder (The scanner will drop the PDF file there)
    2- Scan the document and read a barcode (always at the top right corner or the 1st page)
    3- Copy&rename the PDF file with the barcode
    4- Move the renamed file to X folder
    5- Move the orinal file to Y folder

6- If the file coulnd be read/on error, move file to Z folder.

I don't need a scanner or a barcode generator I already have both.

Context: We have tons of orders to keep track of. Each order have a specific number (barcode). By scanning files that are reliated to the order we can see the progress. We are currently renaming all files manually and it just takes too much time.

If you know a good software please let me know,

I also have some knowledge of programming so if you happen to have some source code to read a barcode I can develop some little software to our liking.

Thanks in advance for your reply.

P.S. going on vacation so I'll not be active for a few weeks,

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Batch rename file with barcode
    « Reply #1 on: July 22, 2015, 03:19:43 PM »
    Is time and cost any part of your objective?
    I don't need a scanner or a barcode generator I already have both.
    Yes you do. The one you has does not do enough  work.
    Time: Without prior experience this will take you several days to do a program.
    Cost: In most parts of the western world you could pay $600 or more for a custom program written by an expert.

Scanners with Software:
    It varies a lot. Best thing is to check with others who work in your industry.  For example, if you were in the Auto-Parts business, your needs would differ a lot from a general store retailer. So you should find others in your business who have had good results with scanner software.
    Flor what it is worth, here is a list of software used in inventory control, which includes use of bar codes.
    Top Inventory Control Software Products
    You may wish to look at the NCR software.
    http://onestepretail.com/capterra/cp.php
    That is the most I can do for you.
    As for using batch files, some form of Vb script would be needed. In Excell you can use VBA to do a script.

camerongray

Expert
      • Yes
      • Cameron Gray - The Random Rambings of a Computer Geek
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Batch rename file with barcode
    « Reply #2 on: July 23, 2015, 03:36:03 AM »
    This is certainly possible but handling the barcode is going to be way out of the capabilities of a batch file, you will need to find/build a program that can read the PDF file and decode the barcode, alternatively it may be easier to convert the PDF to an image and then process the barcode out of this image.

I can see a few different tools and source code to do this from looking around online so researching into this would be a start.  You could then either call this program from your batch file or (better) integrate all steps into a single program and forget doing it in batch.