Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Monitor blackout  (Read 2515 times)

silkie

Topic Starter

Hopeful

Monitor blackout
    « on: July 24, 2015, 02:29:55 AM »
    System info = Vista Home SP2, Processor= Intel E8600 3.33 GHz,  Ram= 4GB (2x Giel 2GB PC2-6400 DDR),  Graphics= NVIDIA GeForce 9800 GTX+,  Monitor= BlueH H224W,  Motherboard= ASUS P5K SE/EPU,  BIOS=AMI.

A couple of days ago my screen blacked out - "no signal input".  I checked connections - all ok.  On rebooting then, and every time thereafter, I got beep code: 1 long, 3 short beeps, which I found apparently means memory failure, which I took to mean RAM.  I checked both sticks in various combinations but to no avail. I later found out that the memory referred to is the graphics card memory.  I should like to know if there is a way to test the graphics card with no monitor screen.  Any suggestions or advice on what might be wrong appreciated.  (I have a second, older, XP PC available.

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Monitor blackout
    « Reply #1 on: July 24, 2015, 05:58:17 AM »
    Surprisingly there is a hot hit on google for this beep code and ASUS boards. Didnt expect as many hits to be ASUS in nature. https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=beep+code+1+long+3+short

This link here has some suggestions on what to check.
    http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/193422-31-asus-p5wd2-premium-long-short-beeps-blank-screen

If you have a spare good power supply, you might want to swap out the power supply to see if this takes care of this if reseating memory, and video card swap with another good card doesnt fix this. I have seen borderline power supplies act up and cause errors like this when the components are not functioning at the correct voltages.

Also resetting the BIOS to undo any potential overclock settings and set everything back to default might help if its a setting that is set for max performance with components that no longer work properly maxed out.

silkie

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2015, 02:58:53 AM »
      Hi Dave - thanks for reply and links.
      I've tried the obvious things, and the other suggestions from the links are a bit beyond my computer competence I think.  I did try to remove the graphics card (so simple in the how to videos!) but failed - I could find no retaining screw for the device, or access to any retaining clip.  I'll have to get a local expert to have a look.
      Thanks again for interest.

DaveLembke

Sage
      « Reply #3 on: July 25, 2015, 05:48:02 AM »
      If you have a digital camera handy, you can share a picture of the video card mounted in the case and we can point out how to remove it as well.

silkie

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2015, 02:10:06 PM »
        Herewith a photo of my graphics card - hope it comes through ok - first time I've tried attachment to a post.
        I think I've located the retaining screw - top right corner in pic.  A very small bracket to the case takes the screw (both hardly noticeable).  I presume there is a clip at the bottom similar to those that retain the memory sticks, but I can't see it or get to it (if it's there).  My idea was to remove the card and somehow get it tested - maybe not a good idea.

[attachment deleted by admin to conserve space]

silkie

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2015, 06:35:08 PM »
          Hi Dave -
          Further to my last post - I got things completely wrong.  After looking more closely and poking about in the works, I have found  the screws ok.  There is a black plastic sort of handle (between the card and the fan)  that is attached to the hinged top over the end of the card and when lifted exposes the two retaining screws.  I have now removed the card and realise that there are no clips on the card slot.  Now all I have to do is figure out what to do next!
          I'll put everything back together and see what happens.  One consolation is that this is all good hands-on experience.

DaveLembke

Sage
          « Reply #6 on: July 25, 2015, 10:29:03 PM »
          I am almost willing to bet from looking at the screenshot you shared that the cause for the problem is that the power supply P connector to Molex connections your using for the 12V direct to video card are not adequate enough, or the PSU is no longer able to carry the weight of the video card + motherboard, so the video card is starving for power at the direct 12V molex connections.

Do you have a better power supply that has the molex connectors as part of its harness without using the P-connector to Molex conversion that your doing which may be also weighing down heavily on the 12V rail that the hard drive etc needs?

silkie

Topic Starter

Hopeful

« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2015, 08:22:37 AM »
            Re power supply - my PSU = ColorSit 500U, 115/230 volts; it is the one ready installed, with all the wiring etc, in the pc  when bought.  I have no other.  Am I right in thinking that the P connector is the black 6-pin connector that fits into the card, and the Molex connectors are the white plastic connectors (each 3 pin) between the PSU and the P connector?  Also you mention '12V rail' - I don't know what that is other than that it is part of the PSU.     

camerongray

Expert
              • Yes
              • Cameron Gray - The Random Rambings of a Computer Geek
            « Reply #8 on: July 26, 2015, 08:32:44 AM »
            Those "ColorsIT" units are pretty much as bad as you get - Lost track of how many I've had to replace.  A power supply like that should have never been used, especially in a system with such a power hungry video card.

You will need to get a known working PSU to test with.  For your machine you should be looking at a good quality unit from a proper brand such as XFX, Seasonic, Corsair, EVGA.etc around the 500w mark.  Don't expect to pay less than £10 for every 100w that the unit is rated for.  With PSUs you get what you pay for.