Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: HP not booting up, amber light on front  (Read 2389 times)

wolfman

Topic Starter

Intermediate

HP not booting up, amber light on front
    « on: July 25, 2015, 11:43:15 AM »
    Just got back from vacation and moved my mouse and keyboard but nothing came on screen. Changed batteries, reset, nothing. Have tried a manual reboot but still nothing. I've noticed on the front panel there is an amber warning light flickering with pictures of discs below it. What does that mean? I pushed the button below that, the tray opened and there is no disc inside. I pushed the button below that and nothing happened. Any ideas what to do or try next? It's the P6000 series and I think I was running IE 7. There is power to tower hence the amber light and the light blue button on top is lit and power to monitor, remains orange, never gets to green. Screen remains black.

camerongray

Expert
      • Yes
      • Cameron Gray - The Random Rambings of a Computer Geek
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: HP not booting up, amber light on front
    « Reply #1 on: July 25, 2015, 11:48:57 AM »
    Wait, so you left the machine switched on for your whole vacation?  Why?

Try totally powering it off, leave it unplugged for a while, plug it back in and see if it works.  That light is just showing hard drive activity, it is not a warning.

wolfman

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2015, 01:09:30 PM »
      Ok I'll try that first. Didn't really think about shutting it down, it goes to sleep mode with no activity and is programmed for updates every Wednesday and shuts down after that anyways, so it was actually only left on 3-4 days. But next time I'll remember.

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #3 on: July 25, 2015, 01:15:20 PM »
      I'd power it up...on A/C power tonite and go to bed...you'll know in the morning...
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

wolfman

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2015, 11:40:39 AM »
        I left it unplugged overnight, reconnected and now it booted up.  :) It previously would not make any beeps or flashing of lights. Not sure what was up. Ran Malware bytes and Superanti Spyware after, a few potentials I deleted but nothing major. The one problem I do have now is I can"t doubleclick on any icons. Nothing happens. But I can go to start menu, bring up program, click on it and it opens. Mouse does everything else Ok and batteries are new. Is there a way to fix this?       -Correction: I also cannot click on dropdown boxes, when attempting to enter information
        « Last Edit: July 26, 2015, 11:56:55 AM by wolfman »