Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Added older used slave hard drive to newer PC but cant use any media programs  (Read 6131 times)

beanodino1

Topic Starter

Beginner

• Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Familiar
My XP oem master hard drive C:/ D:/,but after adding the XP 2nd hard drive K:/L:/ set to slave device mgr. says, most all the XP files,folders,documents are there as to be working. What I like to know when I choose a media player to open from its folder listing all I get is more folders info about the media folder selection & with no media player to play for all my document music files. Can I make this work within its slave drive hard drive or do I excopy what files/folder/documents/programs I need to the master hard drive before it will operate when open ? I noticed that most all the files/folders & more  are on the slave drive ,but are shown in a different type of code sample:13bru65_s84owner. I click properties to get a better idea whats on them, but I dont really see much more details info on what I need to make the right selection choice,maybe? Hope there is a easier way to extract exactly what I need to help retrive & use active  programs from my recently added 2nd slave hard drive ???

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
You open Media player from the C: drive...then open the media files from whatever storage drive.
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

beanodino1

Topic Starter

Beginner

• Experience: Familiar
Re: Added 2nd used slave hard drive & cant use any of its programs ?
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2015, 01:09:40 PM »
there is a media player on the master XP 07' HP hard drive C/D: ,but there should be a Dell Dj jukebox Music-match program & music files on the other 2nd slave hard drive L/K:which I recently added from another expired 07' emachine desktop PC. When I try to open any files/folders all I can get is more open files about the file itself with hiddin type files as: Wdce54_Y6E44o1dr9_owner  Both master & slave partiction hard drives are mtr or mtb bootable are working properly. Somewhat confusing when you see it but feel very close on sloving this . (similar to going in circles)  ::)

camerongray

Expert
    • Yes
    • Cameron Gray - The Random Rambings of a Computer Geek
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Expert
Programs are not designed to be able to be simply connected to a different PC and then run, you need to perform a clean install on the machine you plan on running it on.

camerongray

Expert
    • Yes
    • Cameron Gray - The Random Rambings of a Computer Geek
Responding to your PM in here as I don't help in PMs:
You said, that it would be best to just format the slave drive, because it came from my other XP PC. I recently bought a sata/ide converter to usb that was design to extract hard drive files,folders,documents & ect. from my Slave HD & copy it to my Master HD. Problem is that I still not sure whats on all those ____________owner files I see loaded on the Slave HD ? It will be hard for myself to do since I have loaded such large mass of collectible music files that I spent so much time on saving ! Just all my music files is all I really want off this 80GB sata Slave HD & this makes myself hard-headed just to give up & re-format the HD. If I do a re-format & partiction the Slave HD do I have to use a boot ultility disc or & add XP back to the HD before or after re-formatting ?  I have of heard some other third -party & free clone,copy software other than Windows excopy to exract or copy from Slave HD to the Master HD , but not sure which is best for myself  to use  ???

You don't need to format the slave drive, you just need to reinstall any software that is on it.  There is nothing wrong with accessing files off of the other drive, you just can't run the currently installed programs or Windows install off of it.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
Dear OP,
They gave you good advice.
Most windows programs can only run from the active system.
That includes features that are extensions of the program.