Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Is 980M SLI a waste at 1080p with 60Hz display?  (Read 3800 times)

StevenMal

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Beginner
    Is 980M SLI a waste at 1080p with 60Hz display?
    « on: July 31, 2015, 11:12:19 AM »
    Unfortunately I don't have the liberty to build or use a desktop so I'm considering a new laptop. I like the Sager NP9377 but unfortunately it uses a 60Hz display at 1080p. Is 980M SLI worth it at all or should I stick to a single 980M and put the rest of the budget somewhere else? Here's what I was thinking.

CPU: i7-4810MQ
    GPU: 980M SLI
    RAM: 16 GB RAM
    SSD: 250GB Samsung 850 EVO Series mSATA SSD
    HDD: Two 1TB 7200 HDD in Raid 0

OR

CPU: i7-4810MQ
    GPU: 980M
    RAM: 16 GB RAM
    SSD: 1TB Samsung 850 EVO Series mSATA SSD
    HDD: Two 1TB 7200 HDD in Raid 0

camerongray

Expert
      • Yes
      • Cameron Gray - The Random Rambings of a Computer Geek
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Is 980M SLI a waste at 1080p with 60Hz display?
    « Reply #1 on: July 31, 2015, 12:14:56 PM »
    You would need to look at benchmarks for the games that you want to play but personally I wouldn't bother.  SLI in a laptop is only going to cause issues with power consumption, size and heat output.

However, I would not be doing what you are doing with storage there - A 1tb SSD is also a waste unless you really need it, an SSD will only speed up applications, not static files such as video so unless you need 1tb just for your programs/games, it's not worth it.  I would also advise against running hard drives in RAID 0, if one drive fails you lose everything therefore doubling your chance of total data loss.

StevenMal

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #2 on: July 31, 2015, 02:15:23 PM »
      You would need to look at benchmarks for the games that you want to play but personally I wouldn't bother.  SLI in a laptop is only going to cause issues with power consumption, size and heat output.

However, I would not be doing what you are doing with storage there - A 1tb SSD is also a waste unless you really need it, an SSD will only speed up applications, not static files such as video so unless you need 1tb just for your programs/games, it's not worth it.  I would also advise against running hard drives in RAID 0, if one drive fails you lose everything therefore doubling your chance of total data loss.

I've seen the benchmarks which is why I'm interested in 908M SLI. I'll take the battery out and keep the laptop plugged in all the time so power consumption isn't an issue. I've also seen the temperatures that 980M SLI in the NP9377 can reach and other users report that temperatures are good. I'm considering a 1 TB SSD only to maximize performance for the budget I've been given because I don't believe in 32 GB RAM since the most intensive thing I'll be doing is gaming. I have backup external drives so data loss from RAID 0 isn't something I'm worried about but I do have a lot of games and don't want to fill up the SSD. I won't be putting all my games or programs on the SSD but 256GB seems a bit small and I can fit 1 TB SSD in my budget rather than a better CPU that I'm not interested in or more RAM that I wouldn't need.

camerongray

Expert
        • Yes
        • Cameron Gray - The Random Rambings of a Computer Geek
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #3 on: July 31, 2015, 02:45:10 PM »
      At the very least I would strongly recommend running the hard drives as separate disks, you are doubling your chance of total data loss.