Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Drastic CPU Usage Increase  (Read 4200 times)

MADR77

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Familiar
    Drastic CPU Usage Increase
    « on: July 31, 2015, 01:10:02 AM »
    Forgive me if this is not the right place to post (I am new to this forum). I came here seeking help because I am a bit worried about my CPU usage. Generally my CPU is around 10%-20% with just the chrome browser open, which is no issue. However I also make YouTube videos, and I recently found this desktop recording software called ManyCam, which I have found to be the best free software for recording desktop videos. As soon as I open it and begin recording though, the CPU usage skyrockets by nearly 40%, and if I am recording myself playing a game, then often times the total usage is 80%-90%. I just want to know if I should be worried about the usage being so high, and if there is some way to lower the usage of ManyCam, because it is currently destroying my computer's processor. I tried deleating some large files stored on my computer and it seems to run a bit faster but not sure if there is anything else I can do.

camerongray

Expert
      • Yes
      • Cameron Gray - The Random Rambings of a Computer Geek
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Drastic CPU Usage Increase
    « Reply #1 on: July 31, 2015, 03:01:58 AM »
    Recording your screen is a pretty CPU intensive task, this doesn't seem like abnormal behaviour at all.  Running the game will use even more CPU on top of the screen recorder, hence it reaching 80-90%.  If it's causing issues, try another screen recorder which may be less CPU intensive.

I just want to know if I should be worried about the usage being so high, and if there is some way to lower the usage of ManyCam, because it is currently destroying my computer's processor.
    There is nothing to worry about, your CPU will not get "destroyed" - As long as a CPU is properly cooled, it can run at 100% all day long without issues.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Beginner
    I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

MADR77

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Familiar
      Re: Drastic CPU Usage Increase
      « Reply #3 on: August 01, 2015, 12:47:52 PM »
      Anyone know of a better screen recording software? Currently this one bumps my CPU usage up by 40%. Is there one that can do better than that?