Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Issue with reading a bootable windows 7 iso  (Read 3548 times)

Evirua

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Familiar
    Issue with reading a bootable windows 7 iso
    « on: August 04, 2015, 04:38:03 PM »
    Hi,

I have a windows 7 iso file which I burned on 2 dvd's, the first one using windows tool, and the second using imgburner.

Both CD's open up fine (on the laptop I'm using) and apparently contain all necessary files and folders :

The issue is that my new computer is unable to read either of those 2 cd's. I tried putting the CD reading in the top priority bracket on the BIOS, still didn't help.

All the newly built computer does is display a black screen with this text on it :
    "Reboot and Select proper Boot device or Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device and press a key."

My mobo if that is of any help is a 970a-g46.

I'm really unsure about what to do next. Thanks in advance for anyone trying to help.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Issue with reading a bootable windows 7 iso
    « Reply #1 on: August 04, 2015, 04:43:46 PM »
    What is 970a-g46?
    What is the make and model of the target computer? (The one you what to boot with either DVD your made.)
    Note: When you make a change to BIOS boot order, you have to save it and exit. Then you may have to turn off the computer for 10 seconds and power on again. You see should see a message-
    "Press any key to boot from DVD"
    Press a key and wait.

Evirua

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2015, 04:53:40 PM »
      I built this computer myself, but I did make sure that all pieces were compatible with each other.

The motherboard is an msi 970a-g46 model. I can provide details about any other piece if that can help.

I forgot to mention the saving part in my topic starter, I did save and reset (pressing F10, and doing it manually through mobo settings).

I'm trying the reset after a 10 seconds shutdown right now. ...To no avail :/
      « Last Edit: August 04, 2015, 05:06:47 PM by Evirua »

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      « Reply #3 on: August 04, 2015, 05:57:18 PM »
      I assume the DVD for Windows 7 is a legit copy from a license. If it is not a licesed copy, the forum can not help you.
      Are you able to boot any OS from DVD with y our new home assembled computer?
      Have you any Linux CDs or DVDs ?

Windows 7, 8 and 10 must be put on DVDs or 4 GB flash drives.
      There is a possibility that your DVD drive is not working right.

Evirua

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2015, 06:04:32 PM »
        I have been assured by the guy from microbytes that the iso he provided me with is legit. I also bought the mentionned 2 dvds from there, both rw types and 4.7 Gb of capacity (the iso is 3.7 Gb).

No I do not have any other bootable CDs to test with at the time (except for the mobo and video card drivers, but they have nowhere to land without an OS).

I'm guessing that at this step into troubleshooting, it could be that it's the driver device itself that is causing the issue (as a very heplful user pointed out on chat, db100547) and the only way for me to test that is to borrow a bootable OS driver from someone. So...I'm trying to do that for the time being.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
        • Geek After Dark
          • Gekk9pm bnlog
        « Reply #5 on: August 04, 2015, 06:45:49 PM »
        I think the  MSI can boot from USB.
        Many Linux dstros boot from CD or USB and are free.  That is an easy way to see if the build can boot up an OS. The Linux systems automatically find the best generic drives for Linux.
        No, I do not mean to say you have to go Linux. Instead, it is an way way to test most of the hardware.
        Here are some that can be put on a USB flash drive and do not write to the hard drive. They are all "live" versions that reside in RAM.
        https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Linux_distributions_that_run_from_RAM

This video is now old, but it explains how to do it simply
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWO3vif7hTw

If you get a Linux live to boot, your system is mostly working

Forgot  to mention. Turn off secure boot.  :)

camerongray

Expert
          • Yes
          • Cameron Gray - The Random Rambings of a Computer Geek
        « Reply #6 on: August 05, 2015, 03:30:22 AM »
        I have been assured by the guy from microbytes that the iso he provided me with is legit. I also bought the mentionned 2 dvds from there, both rw types and 4.7 Gb of capacity (the iso is 3.7 Gb).
        It's interesting that all he gave you was an ISO since purchased copies of Windows 7 generally come with a DVD - How much did you pay for this copy of Windows and is there a Certificate of Authenticity sticker with a product key stuck to the PC case?