Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Failing HDD Help  (Read 3100 times)

Jee

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Experience: Beginner
    Failing HDD Help
    « on: August 05, 2015, 10:47:33 AM »
    OK, so brief history of what led me to this problem;

Purchased a Kingston HyperX 3K 120GB SSD Upgrade Kit.

Installed it, unplugged SATA power from my two 1TB HDDs and did a fresh Win7 install on the SSD.

Upgraded Win7 to Win10

Plugged SATA power back into 2 original Hard Drives

Used Disk Management to check on them, one was fine, the other unallocated so i gave it a path and it was working fine.

Shut down computer to move it back where it lives after needing to open it etc.

Rebooted and now the two HDs are not listed under Computer, Disk Management prompts me to Initialize them which just returns a "Data Error (Cyclic Redundancy Check) error.

Everything i use to try and fix just gives stupid errors that dont indicate what went wrong, so nothing ive tried has worked. Everything i have used has also detected the hard drives, they are present in BIOS and were workin perfectly fine before my last reboot. So, have my two hard drives somehow simultaneously failed? Do they need to be replaced? And how on earth am i supposed to fix this basicaly?! :)

Thanks

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Failing HDD Help
    « Reply #1 on: August 05, 2015, 11:27:46 AM »
    Check the drives on another machine.
    You may have used the wrong settings in BIOS.
    What is the make and model of lour computer?

Why do you need the SSD to be the boot drive?

Jee

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2015, 11:41:07 AM »
      Dont have another machine to check them with.
      I have no idea about the bios, all ive done is install a new hard drive and a new copy of windows.
      Custom built gaming pc, i7-4790k, 16gb RAM, gtx 970, Z97-P Motherboard

I dont, but all i ever see at the moment is how "amazing" SSDs are so i thought id jump on the bandwagon.

I've also tried disconnecting each hard drive individually to see whether theres just a problem with one of them, but no matter which i disconnect the Disk Management still seems to think there are 2 connected. Even with only 1 plugged in it comes up with the same amount of total storage space on Disk 0 as there would be if both were connected...
      « Last Edit: August 05, 2015, 12:09:43 PM by Jee »

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      • Certifications: List
      • Computer: Specs
      « Reply #3 on: August 05, 2015, 03:33:01 PM »
      Fro what you say, it would seem that your BIOS has set the drives in the RAID mode,
      Your have the GIGABYTE GA-Z97P-D3 . - Right?
      Please look over the documentation.
      http://lastmanuals.com/manual/GIGABYTE/GA-Z97P-D3

As for the SSD, it can last longer if it is NOT the boot drive.  You should only put the most demanding programs on it, namely you top games.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2015, 04:03:45 PM »
      As for the SSD, it can last longer if it is NOT the boot drive.  You should only put the most demanding programs on it, namely you top games.
      This is nonsense, and may be safely disregarded.

Salmon Trout

« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2015, 04:05:32 PM »
      Why do you need the SSD to be the boot drive?
      This is what most people use SSDs for.

Jee

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2015, 04:16:49 PM »
        According to the BIOS my SATA mode is AHCI

Lisa_maree

Mentor
        • My first real computer
          • Yes
        « Reply #7 on: August 05, 2015, 07:07:26 PM »
        The Western Digital life guide diagnostics show the 2 Samsung drives as being Raid 0 making a single 2tb drive. When you added the ssd drive this caused the raid to be damaged ie the raid was then made up of the ssd and 1 of the Samsung drives this is the drive you see in the windows disk management screen. If you need the data from the 2 Samsung 1tb drives then you will need to put them back on the same sata cables they were attached to originally. Boot the computer from the Samsung drives leaving the SSD disconnected, copy the data to another USB hard drive then reconnect the SSD and re setup the raid or just format the 2 1tb drives as separate data drives. Windows disk manger can span 2 drives as one single drive if you want a single 2tb  drive. Recuvia won't recover the data, you would need something like reclaimme free raid recovery to set the 2 drives up for recovery. Easier just to return the drives back into there old setup configuration and backup.             
        You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you.”
        ― John Bunyan

Jee

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #8 on: August 06, 2015, 06:10:29 PM »
          The Western Digital life guide diagnostics show the 2 Samsung drives as being Raid 0 making a single 2tb drive. When you added the ssd drive this caused the raid to be damaged ie the raid was then made up of the ssd and 1 of the Samsung drives this is the drive you see in the windows disk management screen. If you need the data from the 2 Samsung 1tb drives then you will need to put them back on the same sata cables they were attached to originally. Boot the computer from the Samsung drives leaving the SSD disconnected, copy the data to another USB hard drive then reconnect the SSD and re setup the raid or just format the 2 1tb drives as separate data drives. Windows disk manger can span 2 drives as one single drive if you want a single 2tb  drive. Recuvia won't recover the data, you would need something like reclaimme free raid recovery to set the 2 drives up for recovery. Easier just to return the drives back into there old setup configuration and backup.           

Ok but that's wrong. The Samsung is a single Hard Drive; an external 1TB HDD, and the SSD is the 111GB C: Disk you can see in the Disk Management screenshot. I agree with you that the two hard drives im having trouble with seem to be in RAID mode and are displayed as a single drive, but thats the 1800+GB Disk 0 that is shown. Those two hard drives are and always have been on the same SATA cables they were originally attached to. After installing the SSD those two drives were working, they were both on Disk 0 but they were separated with partitions of around 900GB each. I restarted the computer and they suddenly became the way they are now, totally unusable.

You seem to be missing the fact that i cant initialise those drives, i can't boot from them, i can't recover data from them, i can't do anything with them hence my making this forum post.

Lisa_maree

Mentor
          • My first real computer
            • Yes
          « Reply #9 on: August 06, 2015, 06:58:41 PM »
          When the drives were installed how were they set up?
          Perhaps an email to the supplier might give results.

Have you tested the drives separately with say HDtunepro. You will need to disable any hardware raid settings in the bios. Remember these settings so you can re enable them. and use hdtune to read the drives smart error table  and bench mark the drives. 

What does Reclaimme raid recovery say when you run that on the 2 Samsung drives, is it able to rebuild the raid and make an image to the USB drive you would need a 2 tb USB drive. If you don't know how to use the software there are video's on their site.
          You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you.”
          ― John Bunyan