Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Win7 HKU/HKCU Registry Issues  (Read 2688 times)

jonesy118

Topic Starter

• Experience: Familiar
    Win7 HKU/HKCU Registry Issues
    « on: August 05, 2015, 04:17:04 PM »
    Hi All,

Looking for some help to a strange issue I'm experiencing.

To start with, I had a single user created on my Win7 PC.

I have loaded on some software, where certain preferences set within the software are stored in a registry key in HKU/HKCU.
    I have set some values to '0' , both within the software and also via RegEdit. I have confirmed the values are saved by checking RegEdit.

Each time I run the software however, It looks as if the key is being re-created or overwritten and the values change back to '1'

I've checked permissions and ruled this out as being an issue, as I have full read and write access to this registry key.

If I run the software in compatibility mode for Vista SP2 or earlier, the issue does not occur.

If I create a new User account on the same PC and switch off compatibility mode, so it's running as a standard win7 app, the issue does not occur and any preferences I alter remain saved in the registry upon re-running the software. (confirmed in RegEdit)

What is going on with my User Account? Why will it work on my account only if I use Compatibility <=Vista SP2 ? Why does it work correctly on a different user account on same PC, without the need to run in compatibility mode?

Thanks in advance