Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: OptoRite DD0401 DVD+RW/-RW Drive  (Read 2199 times)

Mary Bagley

OptoRite DD0401 DVD+RW/-RW Drive
« on: November 13, 2005, 02:03:06 PM »
I have an Optorite DD0401 drive .  I installed this in a computer that I built myself last year.  It worked fine up until a few months ago, when I found I had difficulty burning MP3s from my computer to a writable CD.  Now, the drive doesn't seem to have a working "read" function.

I emailed Optorite.  They suggested opening the case and cleaning the components w/compressed air, which I did.  It was suggested to reflash the drive w/the firmware. I did that.  They then suggested that some users have had success in recovering the drive "read" function by moving the "factory use only" jumper from the 1st to the 2nd position, booting the computer, shutting it down, replacing the jumper to the 1st position, and rebooting.  I tried that.  They also had test programs to see if the drive recognized CDs or DVDs.  When I loaded these programs and tried them, the drive did not recognize the CD or DVD.

When I boot the computer, the green light on the drive flashes, so it didn't die an electrical death.  :)

Thanks.

Mary

pcwizard

Hopeful

• A computer is for life, not just gaming!!
    Re: OptoRite DD0401 DVD+RW/-RW Drive
    « Reply #1 on: November 13, 2005, 04:53:18 PM »
    Do you have a bootable CD? XP perhaps.
    Try setting your BIOS boot sequence to use this drive and see if it will boot from the disc.

If it wont then it could mean the drive, ide cable or channel is faulty.
    A computer is for life....not just gaming!!

Dell4700

« Reply #2 on: November 13, 2005, 05:59:38 PM »
    Sounds like a sticky problem.

You might want to try the following if you haven't already:

- if you think it's just a bad drive, try cleaning the laser lense for the drive, not just blowing around the dust.  I use denatured alcohol (doesn't leave a residue).  Use a soft lint-free towel or q-tip.  Alternatively you can use a cleaner disk (the one with a small brush mounted on the read surface of the disk).

Sounds like you've eliminated a bad cable or controller.

Beyond this, you could have an alignment problem or drive hardware/electronics failure.

Good luck!

Dell

GX1_Man

« Reply #3 on: November 13, 2005, 09:08:25 PM »
    I have had two Optorite drives in my life. One was DOA, and the other died shortly after installation.  :'( :'(

yramusa

« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2005, 06:19:10 PM »
    Thanks for all the feedback.  

It might be a bad laser pick up head.  If so, it's done for.  It just seemed like I should get more than  1 1/2 years out of it.  The upside is that although I paid over $200. for it back then, I can get a Sony (which I'm told are better) for $59 (Tiger Direct).  

I do wish I could fix it, but if not, at least it won't be too expensive to replace.  :-)  

Mary