Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: CD Drive Audio Problem  (Read 2491 times)

Gal255

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Experience: Beginner
    CD Drive Audio Problem
    « on: August 16, 2015, 10:28:06 AM »
    First of all sorry if it's not related to this forum, wasn't sure which one
    So I have a this cd driver called שם   TSSTcorp CDDVDW SH-222AB ATA Device
    and when I play some (original) music cd's in it, it plays them chopped, like skip every two seconds of the music
    at first I thought driver is bugged, but when I play some of my other cd's, it work fine
    are the specific cd's are damaged ? nope, plays just fine on other computer drivers..
    Only explanation is it's a specific type of cd the driver cannot read good.. as far as i can figure, but is there anything I can do to fix it ? like updating it, or I don't know what
    I'm not much a computer genius as you probebly figured out so please try to be simple with your answers
    Thanks A Lot !

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: CD Drive Audio Problem
    « Reply #1 on: August 17, 2015, 08:44:20 AM »
    You will probably find that swapping the drive with a new one will fix this issue. As drives age they start to act like this when the laser and eye get weak. One last attempt to save this drive would be if you had a CD cleaner disc to run in it to have that clean the eye. If this is a desktop its a cheap swap. If its a laptop it may be more costly. For a desktop computer you could get a replacement for under $20.

Gal255

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2015, 10:35:18 AM »
      Does swapping it is something I can do on my own with damaging anything or need a technician ? (desktop computer)

DaveLembke

Sage
      « Reply #3 on: August 17, 2015, 12:53:55 PM »
      Desktop computer is fairly easy. If your unsure of how to enter the inside of your case you can share a picture or make/model of it here and we can guide you. Some dells for example have tricky case locking mechanisms etc, however most steel box type cases have 1 or 2 screws at each side panel that when removed they slide off and expose the inner computer. You will need access to both sides of the drive bay and so you would be removing both side panels if this is a tower computer case.

Here is your drive with some pictures. There will be 4 screws (2 on each side) which will require a philips or a torx screw driver to remove, and then there are just 2 connections a SATA DATA cable and a SATA POWER cable connection. These connections are keyed and so they just tug gently to remove and push on the connector to the new drive.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827151233

Gal255

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2015, 10:32:51 AM »
        Yap saw a video, pretty easy thing to do, and every driver (as long as it is SATA connection) fits to every computer right ?
        so thanks, I'll guess I'll just spend this 20$ and replace it with a new one..
        Thanks again :)

DaveLembke

Sage
        « Reply #5 on: August 18, 2015, 12:22:13 PM »
        Driver Problems these days are a thing of the past for Optical Drives. 20+ years ago you would have to hunt the correct driver down, especially when the first drives came out and they didnt standardize yet to a universal controller and you had to add Optical Drive cards which were sometimes combo cards with sound card etc on some older sound blaster cards etc back in the days of the 386,486 and early Pentiums with CD-ROM drives. Over the last 15 years IDE and now SATA drives have made it so much easier to just swap and run with very few problems. SATA removed the most common problem which was people who didnt know that IDE devices needed to be jumper configured on each drive with Master ( MA ) , Slave ( SL ), or Cable Select ( CS ) for desktop computers. With SATA its just a power and data connection and few screws to mount it into the bay and your good to go.  :)

Best of Luck!