Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Computer shuts down after a few seconds  (Read 2264 times)

mharis

Topic Starter

• Experience: Experienced
    Computer shuts down after a few seconds
    « on: August 19, 2015, 02:38:20 AM »
    My setup:

CPU: Core i3 2120 3.3 Ghz
    Motherboard: Asus B75M-A
    PSU: Coolermaster GX 2 550W
    RAM: 1 x 2 GB and 1 x 4 GB Kingston (not sure about their bus freq etc)
    GPU: EVGA GT440 1 GB (Will be upgraded to Asus R9 270 2GB OC in a couple of days)
    HDD: 250 GB SATA

I can see the CPU, chassis and GPU fans working for a few seconds, and then they stop and system shuts down.

Sometimes it does hold up for some time and the systems boots up, if it makes to windows, later at any point, it shuts down automatically, with Critical error in event log: "The system has rebooted without cleanly shutting down first". And when I try to turn it on again, it powers off after a few seconds.

I didnt get a chance to copy the content of the error because it always shuts down before I could copy the stuff.

I had this problem with my old power supply, I just bought a new one (Coolermaster one mentioned in the setup) but still have the same issue.

I have tried:

1. Changing power supply (bought the new one)
    2. De-seated both RAM modules and Re-seated one by one - Same issue for both
    3. De-seated Motherboard and Re-seated after putting a cardboard between the chassis and motherboard (there is one screw which does not completely gets fit on the chassis, but I am pretty sure there is no contact between the mobo and the chassis except on the screws)
    4. Flipped the CMOS battery - The computer booted up and worked for some good 10 minutes before shutting down again

I haven't tried:
    1. De-seating the processor or the processor fan (I will not as I am reluctant I might break something)
    2. Breadboarding completely

I know there have been many same posts before but each had different causes, I just want to see whats specifically wrong with my setup here.

Thanks in advance

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Computer shuts down after a few seconds
    « Reply #1 on: August 20, 2015, 04:58:33 PM »
    You need to remove your affiliate link...or it'll be removed for you.
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "