Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: UPDATE Choppy game play at high fps in all games.  (Read 13087 times)

John123123

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Familiar
    UPDATE Choppy game play at high fps in all games.
    « on: August 21, 2015, 07:46:55 AM »
    Hello. So i recently got a new computer on this computer i installed Bioshock infinite. I ran fraps to check my fps while i was in game. It turns out that the game was running at 60 on ultra settings. But when i started moving camera around i noticed screen tearing like the game would jump a few frames every few seconds. My fps didn't droped it always stayed at 60 fps exept sometimes it jumped to 58 or 59 fps. I went to options in game and locked my fps. But the problem was still there. If you guys have time woud you help me pls :P

Thanks a ton

deleted by allan
    « Last Edit: August 21, 2015, 07:55:15 AM by Allan »

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Screen tearing / skipping frames while gaming !
    « Reply #1 on: August 21, 2015, 08:39:10 AM »
    What do you have for a system? we need all systems specs to know what you have for hardware to better assist you. As well as what resolution and refresh rate etc are you using etc to know if your pushing the video card too hard or if the problem is elsewhere?

John123123

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2015, 08:48:11 AM »
      GRAPHICS CARD: Asus gtx 970 strix 4gb
      PROCESSOR: Intel core i5 4690k 3.5 ghz quad core
      MOTHERBOARD: Z97 Gaming 5
      RAM: 8GB with cooling
      PSU: 650W Inter-tech
      DISK: 1TB HDD
      I tried out playing this game on my monitor which is 720p 60 Hz. I also tried to play this game on my mothers monitor which is a little bit older. And i tried this on my TV 1080p but the problem is still there.

DaveLembke

Sage
      « Reply #3 on: August 21, 2015, 10:42:50 AM »
      Do you have the latest drivers installed from nVidia?  And forgot to ask which version of Windows your running?

John123123

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2015, 10:48:31 AM »
        Yes when i installed windows 7 i updated drivers for motherboard using MSI Live update 6 i also updated my graphics card drivers with nvidia geforce experiance and i also i used driver booster 2 to update drivers or my other components i actually bought that program. Im running windows 7 64 bit SP 1. I also update windows 7 every day at 3 AM so i get all updates for directx and stuff like that

DaveLembke

Sage
        « Reply #5 on: August 21, 2015, 11:06:56 AM »
        Have you run other games to see if its just an issue with this game or all games?

Have you run any benchmarks on this yet which might point out a bottleneck in performance, where hardware such as RAM might not be scoring as well as it should etc?

I also saw that your motherboard may have a newer BIOS flash available for it. If you want to go this route with a BIOS flash, just be careful and make sure power is not disrupted in between the flash process.

In the past when I had problems like this it was either Video Card, RAM, or Main Board Hardware or BIOS overclock Config issue.

John123123

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2015, 11:42:30 AM »
          Hmmm going to run benchmark is heaven any good ? So basically i just set everything on ultra / best performance and then run the strest test. I will send you screenshot after the benchmark. I will update BIOS as well through MSI Live update 6. I will also do clean install of windows and then i will report to you back. Thanks for help !

John123123

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2015, 03:22:28 PM »
            UPDATE: It turns out that it wasn't screen tearing after all. However i didnt fix the problem but now i got more detailed information about the problem. So basically when i play bioshock i turn camera left and right and in certant parts of the map my fps drops a bit and i got this stutter like i was playing on 40-50 fps my camera jumps and is choppy.

DaveLembke

Sage
            « Reply #8 on: August 21, 2015, 07:48:16 PM »
            Maybe this will help.... looks like the game has some bugs. Check out the info on the FPS and other info that might catch your eye at this page. http://pcgamingwiki.com/wiki/BioShock_Infinite

John123123

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2015, 04:12:22 AM »
              The thing is this is happening in every game i dont know what should i do :(

DaveLembke

Sage
              « Reply #10 on: August 22, 2015, 10:44:26 AM »
              Curious as to what your benchmark shows... have you run one yet? The heaven benchmark is a good one. I usually just run passmarks which shows detailed info and has nothing bad bundled with it and uninstalls clean when done with the trial.

John123123

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2015, 03:05:37 PM »
                First of all thank you soo much for helping me. Today i did a re-install of windows updated my drivers, updated windows and everything. I wen't to league of legends and its the same i dont understand how the game like this has issues with beast card like gtx 970. I also forgot to mention that i only have 1 stick of 8GB of ram. Im thinking that i would get another stick of 4GB of ram it my fix it what do you think ?

John123123

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #12 on: August 22, 2015, 03:12:56 PM »
                  I also know PSU and monitors are not the problem because i had been running another PSU 1 week ago and i replaced it with the new one and its still the same. And my monitor has the same specs as my friends monitor.

The things that are left is graphics card, mother board, processor or ram. I might just send graphics card back and get a new one what do you guys think ?

John123123

Topic Starter

Rookie

UPDATE Choppy game play at high fps in all games.
                    « Reply #13 on: August 22, 2015, 05:51:18 PM »
                    If any mods could delete my previous thread that would be awesome. I got much more information about the problem. Posted this on many forums and no one can find the fix for it.

A few days ago i noticed my all my games were choppy. Almost like they were running at lower frame rate but when i checked my frame rate it was fine. This happens in all games and is usually followed up by input lag. When more stuff is happening on screen the choppiness gets worse, but i still have high reported frame rate. I don;t know what to do...i have tried everything i can think of. Forcing v-sync in game and in the control panel does nothing to alleviate the issue. Fps is capped at 60 but is still choppy.

The issue is that games are incredibly choppy. The best way i can describe it is that when turning your screen you can see and *feel* as if frames are dropping, but they are not. Even when the fps is capped and it does not move. When lots of things are happening on screen the choppiness gets worse and there is more input lag.

It is such a weird issue, in all my years of pc building/troubleshooting i have not come across an issue as strange as this one.

Vsync on and off doesnt help. All my drivers are up to date. I tried unparking my cpu cores. I dont know if this is graphics card issue or something. Should i send it back and could it possible be because i dont have an SSD

PC Specs
                    Asus GTX 970 strix
                    1 stick of 8 gb ram
                    intel core i5 4690k 3.5 ghy quad core
                    1 TB HDD
                    Z97 gaming 5 MSI motherboard
                    650W PSU inter tech

I got this pc 5 days ago the first day the first game that i installed which was league of legends everything was amazing. The next day this issue appeared.

TNX for the help

John123123

Topic Starter

Rookie

Re: UPDATE Choppy game play at high fps in all games.
                      « Reply #14 on: August 22, 2015, 07:09:21 PM »
                      Im back got some pretty interesting updates. First thing i did i went to league of legends i unchecked vsync again and now on my monitor appeared horizontal lines like waves. It was similar to this picture but they were more white and thickerhttp://imgur.com/sOL8DI1 this is probably the exact lines that i got except they were more white http://imgur.com/qdy2e0i
                      After that i re seated everything and i tried to launch league of legends again and it was still the same.
                      Then i ran a bench mark test and i got this results http://imgur.com/2r4akur
                      +
                      The waves also appeared while i was benchmarking.