Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: help INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE  (Read 2242 times)

jimjones

help INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE
« on: November 14, 2005, 08:33:55 PM »
   I maintain our computers at my workplace, which run Win2K pro. I had to replace a motherboard in a Socket 462 Athlon machine which had a bad CMOS (CMOS checksum error on boot---tried new battery, cleared CMOS, tried fresh OS install, etc., finally found a broken cap on the board, thought maybe that was it). I replaced the board with a PC chips K7 board, VIA KT266A chipset, and upgraded from PC133 (legacy on the old board) to PC266 DDR memory. On first boot, I set the Date/Time, configured the bios settings, and then tried to boot Win. I received the BSOD and a STOP error with what looks like a memory  address, and the message INACCESSIBLE_BOOT _DEVICE. I double checked the BIOS config, drive cables, jumper settings on the board and the drive (only one hard drive), tried different cables, tried a different power supply, tried to repair with the Win2K disk (recovery console and automatic), ran chkdsk on the drive, all to no avail. What is this? Is it a bad boot record? I ruled out a virus (no boot problems before except CMOS checksum error on occasion). I was able to log in to the installation at a prompt, but I really don't know where to go from there. I ended up reformatting, and reinstalling the OS, but I'd rather know how to repair it. I've seen this before on my own Win2K machine. Any ideas? Thanks. ???

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: help INACCESSIBLE_BOOT_DEVICE
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2005, 10:33:47 PM »
The problem since WinME is that the OS installs themselves got better and better at picking up all drivers especially MBoard drivers.
Since none of these are universal when you swap out a MBoard normally the HDD won't boot at all as it is looking at specific drivers that were'nt designed to run on the new MBoard.
You can try this workaround designed for XP but it just might work on Win2k...
Back up your data first and ignore the directions for the new installation. As you have already made the swap just delete the items he suggests and re-boot...Windows should then search for the newer drivers for the new board and re-install them.

Good Luck but again No Guarantees.

patio.  8)
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "