Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Viewing Files that are not installed?  (Read 2148 times)

Andre Wabrik

Viewing Files that are not installed?
« on: November 14, 2005, 10:01:58 AM »
Hello,
I have an external harddrive with alot of files on it, but I dont take it everwhere I go, especaially to school.  Is there a way I can set it up so that I can view the files on the drive, as if it were acutally connected.  I know i wont beable to use, or to edit any of the files, I would just like to view them, to keep track of what I have.  Thanks for your time.
Andre Wabrik

pcwizard

Hopeful

• A computer is for life, not just gaming!!
    Re: Viewing Files that are not installed?
    « Reply #1 on: November 14, 2005, 12:56:28 PM »
    For you to access them you need to have the system setup and running with the drive attached. Then use something like Remote Desktop, in XP, where you can log into your system over the internet from another location.
    You'll need to enable this function in system properties- Remote tab, tick the 'Allow users to connect remotely to this desktop'. Make sure your firewall is set up to allow this connection - using port 3389.

Also making sure the system you are using allows you to connect outwards over the internet.
    You'll need to setup user names (Main admin user already has access) who can use this function and you have to set the account up with a password too.
    A computer is for life....not just gaming!!

Andre Wabrik

« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2005, 03:26:11 PM »
    Thanks for you advise, but thats not what I was asking for.  I dont think I made my self clear.  I only have once computer.  I use the external at home for listening to music, and watching movies, and playing games etc.  When I come to school, I bring my laptop with me, but not the exteral harddrive.  I would like to know if it is possible to view the drive as if it were installed, but just to view, not to use the files.
    I think that is more clear, thanks again.
    Andre Wabrik

GX1_Man

« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2005, 08:34:37 PM »
    I don't think you can view it if they are not physically connected. How would they communicate?