Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: MSI GT72 2QE Dominator Pro G won't make it past the MSI Splash screen  (Read 6196 times)

NickD

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Experienced
    This issue happened a week ago. I was running Windows 10 (For a few weeks) and last week my MSI GT72 2QE Dominator Pro G wouldn't turn off and the screen was black. So I hold down the power button and it turns off. I press the power button again to turn it back on and it starts up like normal, but it stays on the splash screen and the dots just go around in circles. I tried to turn it off and on again and it still never got past that splash screen. I did a clean install of windows 10 on it using a USB key after to just see if it was some issue with my version of the OS and it'd install and I logged in for the first time and it was fine. Then I hit shutdown and it says shutting down and then the screen goes black, but the LED indicator light for power is still on. So I have to force shut down again. I turn it back on and it does the same thing where it goes to the splash screen, dots go in circles. So I hit F3 after restarting it again to get into recovery options and I do a factory reset on that sucker. It boots 8.1 fine, I log in, I am able to shut it down correctly, it boots back into 8.1 correctly. So I upgrade to Windows 10 once more and it boots into 10. I shut it down, same issue. It seems to only be when Windows 10 is on it now and I really hate 8 and don't want to have to go back to it. So what do you believe the issue is?

Thanks, Nick.

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: MSI GT72 2QE Dominator Pro G won't make it past the MSI Splash screen
    « Reply #1 on: September 13, 2015, 11:08:19 AM »
    Is this happening only when idle for a period of time or when your actually using it?

If its only happening when idle then it could be a power management option that needs to be set to tell the system not to shutdown, not to hibernate or sleep etc.

NickD

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2015, 10:03:09 PM »
      It happened when I tried to shut it down. It will never boot up so I had to reset it to Windows 8.

NickD

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2015, 04:18:57 PM »
        Any help? :C

DaveLembke

Sage
        • Certifications: List
        • Computer: Specs
        • Experience: Expert
        « Reply #4 on: September 30, 2015, 01:43:13 AM »
        Sorry for no additional info and quite some time passed.

Unfortunately your issue sounds to be Windows 10 related, but if its a build issue others should have also reported issues with 10 on that laptop as well and the google search doesnt show any hits.

Hardware issue unlikely since its healthy on 8/8.1

This is one of those situations where there is no good direction to go in, but a direction needs to happen to hopefully get to a cure for this.

The Windows 10 on thumb drive... where did this come from? Is there a reason why the upgrade isnt happening from Windows 8 downloading the upgrade and then selecting to switch to 10 in which the upgrade just happens at the HDD and no external devices are used?