Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Nooby audio question  (Read 2711 times)

A10 Tactical

Topic Starter

Beginner

• Experience: Beginner
    Nooby audio question
    « on: September 17, 2015, 05:37:48 PM »
    I am converting a .mp4 video file to .avi format (It is the only choice I have on the hardware device I plan hooking to my television). I am converting the .mp4 with XVid4PSP. So to get the hardware device I will play the finished work on I have to use the AC3 format. I have been using this software for a while now and by default have just used AC3 256k for audio encoding. In the drop down menu there are other options beside that being: 192k, 384k 448k & 640k. Will the audio become any louder or more quiet if I go up or down with those choices?

Salmon Trout

Re: Nooby audio question
    « Reply #1 on: September 18, 2015, 02:04:08 PM »
    Those numbers, 192k, 384k etc are the audio bit rate, the k stands for kilobits per second. The encoding rate used during conversion should be the same or greater than the bitrate of the original audio. If it is less the audio will be more compressed than it was originally and may lose quality, although you'd probably have to lose quite a lot of bit rate before you notice. Choosing a different bit rate will not change the volume of the audio in the output file. Using a bit rate higher than the original will not make the output audio better quality; it will just make the output file bigger than it needs to be.

A10 Tactical

Topic Starter

Beginner

• Experience: Beginner
      Re: Nooby audio question
      « Reply #2 on: September 18, 2015, 06:21:31 PM »
      Thanks for clearing that up with me.