Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: USB WiFi Booster??  (Read 2820 times)

MADR77

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Familiar
    USB WiFi Booster??
    « on: September 18, 2015, 09:08:56 AM »
    I don't get good internet in my house since I am far from the router. Instead of using an Ethernet cable through the wall, are there any USB WiFi boosters that are good that can boost my signal. Right now I only get 11 Mbps which is extremely slow (~ 1.5 MBps). I saw this one that is supposed to boost your signal up to 300mbps, but I just want to know if they actually work. If anyone can give me advice or even link me to a good usb booster that would be great. Thanks!

camerongray

Expert
      • Yes
      • Cameron Gray - The Random Rambings of a Computer Geek
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: USB WiFi Booster??
    « Reply #1 on: September 18, 2015, 10:01:47 AM »
    300mbps is the maximum speed it can do.  It will still be limited by distance from the router the same way you are now.  Without trying it, there is no telling if a USB adapter will be any better than what you are using currently.  What you really should be using if distance is an issue is a WiFi repeater placed somewhere in the middle between your computer and the router which will broadcast a stronger signal for you to connect to.

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #2 on: September 18, 2015, 10:14:53 AM »
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

DaveLembke

Sage
    « Reply #3 on: September 18, 2015, 10:27:20 AM »
    What you really should be using if distance is an issue is a WiFi repeater placed somewhere in the middle between your computer and the router which will broadcast a stronger signal for you to connect to.

I also agree with this, but wanted to share that depending on the age of your wireless equipment router and access point repeater, its best to use newer ones for better compatibility. I for example tried to save myself some money from having to buy a router to turn into a repeater and the 2006 model Linksys Router supported repeating, BUT ONLY to another like model Linksys Router due to some proprietary Linksys Handshake I am guessing. So I was unable to get the modern 3 year old D-Link DIR 601 and 9 year old Linksys WRT54G to repeat off of the D-Link. What I ended up doing is fishing a Cat5 cable through my home along side a heating duct from basement that gave it a straight shot back  and mounted the WRT54G in the opposite corner of my home on the 2nd floor for best coverage. Now my signal is strong throughout home and I have it set to connect to 1 or the other.

I suppose I could have attempted to make the Linksys the primary router and D-Link the repeater maybe, but I prefer the newer improved security D-Link that I am also running DD-WRT on for advanced configuration for QoS and other features that comes with DD-WRT that the factory firmware that came with the D-Link was lacking greatly for any advanced configuration. Additionally I can control the signal strength of the D-Link with DD-WRT that the original firmware did not support. More info on boosting your router here with DD-WRT.. NOTE: Its probably safe to boost the output, but any changes are at own risk. http://www.howtogeek.com/56810/how-to-extend-your-wireless-network-with-dd-wrt/

As mentioned on the page, you have to be careful not to burn it up if boosting it with DD-WRT which makes the router perform outside its intended scope from manufacturer. If you play it safe you can get better performance without cooking it. Mine has been running at 100 instead of 70 for almost 2 years now at regular room temp room and no problems. I felt the warmth of the router before and after and yes its running warmer, but not hot to be concerned with on my D-Link 601

There are three settings of interest, the first being TX Power. This is the broadcasting power of your transmitting antenna. The default is a safe value of 70, but we can kick it up a bit. Most people report that jumping up to a 100 is safe. Pushing it higher can cause excessive heat which can damage your router. I don’t have to worry about that since my “server area” is cold and I’m also a bit reckless, so I kicked mine up to 150. It’s been that way for a few weeks and I haven’t had a problem yet, but your mileage may vary. Use your common sense and discretion.

Patio that CANtenna is awesome...LOL first time i saw one. I heard of people making coffee can point to point wireless bridges, but that CANtenna is cool.  ;D

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    « Reply #4 on: September 18, 2015, 01:05:38 PM »
    The CANtenna is the low cost way to improve wireless performance.
    How to make a CANtenna
    (A set of short videos.)
    It also improves security. The beam is rather narrow and not likely to be intercepted.

DaveLembke

Sage
    « Reply #5 on: September 19, 2015, 09:30:29 AM »
    It also improves security. The beam is rather narrow and not likely to be intercepted.

Security is a must even if directional control of radio waves is created.

I have experience with Coffee Cans to be used as wireless bridges. If going this route a laser pointer perfectly lined up with side of can helps to align other can at other side with antenna inside with a piece of paper to show the red dot on the can.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Maxwell-House-Wireless-Antenna/