Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Chrome PDF viewer addon - Very Thankful to Chrome  (Read 4357 times)

DaveLembke

Topic Starter

Sage
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Chrome PDF viewer addon - Very Thankful to Chrome
« on: September 03, 2015, 12:37:15 PM »
I have to give chrome a thumbs up today for having a PDF addon.

I was on a network today where I am not an admin, and knew that they allowed users to install Chrome through GP restriction/allowances on laptops, and the minute you logoff the user profile doesn't save changes. I needed to print my plane tickets which I saved as a PDF from my laptop in hotel where I didn't have a printer, but saved them as a PDF using PDF7.

The work station I am on has NO PDF handler software at all. I was surprised.

So I went on a google search to see if there was a web based PDF viewer of some kind to load my PDF into the browser since there is no local PDF handler application. I found this chrome addon and knew that I could install Chrome browser to workstation through limited permissions. It worked out awesome. After it said it was installed I went to browser window for Chrome and typed E: to get to the USB stick and open the PDF file with my boarding pass and print to the printer that this laptop in the facility is hooked up to.

While I didn't care too much for chrome prior, I am very thankful for this addon for it that allowed me to print my boarding passes.

Here is the addon I used.   https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/pdf-viewer/oemmndcbldboiebfnladdacbdfmadadm?hl=en

Figured I'd share this in case anyone else wants to open PDFs who might run into a same problem of no PDF handler or do without Adobe Reader and the checkbox that they try to get you to miss to install bundleware.

camerongray

Expert
    • Yes
    • Cameron Gray - The Random Rambings of a Computer Geek
Re: Chrome PDF viewer addon - Very Thankful to Chrome
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2015, 01:00:13 PM »
Chrome can open PDFs out of the box, you shouldn't need an extension for it.

DaveLembke

Topic Starter

Sage
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2015, 01:02:19 PM »
Interesting that they'd have this addon if its already there to support it.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2015, 01:08:55 PM »
I'm personally fed up with Chrome...and i've given it many chances to change that.
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

artbuc

Apprentice

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2015, 02:43:43 AM »
    I'm personally fed up with Chrome...and i've given it many chances to change that.

Patio, would say a little more, ie a few examples of what you do not like about Chrome? Personally I never got the whole browser thing. Many folks hating on IE and loving Firefox and Chrome. Gave them a try and could not see any advantage. Am now using Edge and like it very much. I only have one problem...need IE to correctly see Verizon webmail. The latter does not bother me because I use Live Mail and go into the Verizon server very infrequently to see an old archived email. I assume either Verizon or MS (or both) will soon resolve this problem.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #5 on: September 06, 2015, 06:28:52 AM »
    Patio, would say a little more, ie a few examples of what you do not like about Chrome? Personally I never got the whole browser thing. Many folks hating on IE and loving Firefox and Chrome. Gave them a try and could not see any advantage. Am now using Edge and like it very much. I only have one problem...need IE to correctly see Verizon webmail. The latter does not bother me because I use Live Mail and go into the Verizon server very infrequently to see an old archived email. I assume either Verizon or MS (or both) will soon resolve this problem.
    Comes down to preference.

I think all the browsers we have suck far worse than you would expect given how many years they have been around. Part of the problem is the shift from web sites to web "Applications" and web "Services"; This led to a shift in focus from presenting content to manipulating content, and a less-than-graceful adaptation of the existing technologies designed for presentation to work with manipulation. Right now the Firefox instance I am using is using over a Gigabyte of memory. according to about:config, each tab is using more RAM than was typically even available on most PCs in 1996, and this is owing to the changing nature of what the web is- and the fact that nobody really knows what it is.

Many swear by Firefox/Chrome/etc. I use Firefox myself but that's mostly a force of habit then it is due to any preference for it. many insist that Internet Explorer is terrible; witness the many silly images and jokes about IE being slower than the other browsers, which presumably is coming form people who last used it with version 6. This seems to conflict with my own experience where Firefox is brought to it's knees by javascript that refuses to stop executing and requires it to be force-terminated.

The worst is when folks pull out things like browser tests or "standards" tests. The first problem is that how compliant a browser is with a standard tells you nothing about how easy it is to use; nor does it even tell you what the standard is, or even if it is good itself. If a standard said "if the user clicks to quickly the PC must explode" I don't think I would be annoyed that it wasn't implemented. Another issue is that usually the people creating these standards are biased. For example, there was a HTML5Test created some time ago, and when IE9 was released, it scored higher than every other browser. What happened? the creators purposely adjusted the test so IE scored the worst again, mostly by testing draft specifications only implemented in chrome or Firefox that weren't even part of any standard!

Realistically disk space is seldom at a premium for the space used for a browser, so I just install all of the main ones; Firefox, Chrome and Opera alongside IE for the most part. If something doesn't seem to work properly in Firefox I switch to another browser to find out if it is a browser issue.
    I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

camerongray

Expert
      • Yes
      • Cameron Gray - The Random Rambings of a Computer Geek
    « Reply #6 on: September 06, 2015, 06:48:52 AM »
    It's like Antivirus, people get way to opinionated over it and spend ages arguing that the specific browser they use is best.  In the end it is entirely down to personal preference.  We are at the stage now that all current browsers perform well enough to be totally usable.

I keep seeing people who are using IE being told "Stop using IE, use Firefox/Chrome/Opera.etc" - Drives me mental, sure IE used to be terrible compared to other browsers but nowadays it performs fine, if a person is happy with whatever browser they are using, don't tell them to stop using it!