Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: I think i fried half of the sound card of my motherboard, any fix for this?  (Read 3189 times)

sirgilmour

Topic Starter

Beginner
  • Learning is the only way
    • www.maxartwurk.com
  • Experience: Experienced
I was trying to install my comp on a normal sony amplifier I use for my turntable and many more devices in my household.
But i had issues making the left speaker work correctly and by playing with the wires with all the copper end twisting and buzzing sounds it made the speaker only decreased in sound and eventualy became completely mute.

It's been a few days now, and it has not improved. To have an equal sound on both speakers i have to put the right speaker to 0 and the left one to 100 and crank up the soundblaster volume wheel all the way up to hear a faint sounding music.
I'm also not understanding why the right speaker is able to make a sound with the windows 7 balance volume set to zero.

I reinstalled windows 7 a few time, no change, windows 10 also, nothing

Do you think there is a probability the volume will get back gradually over time or it a point of no return.
It does the same with headphones so the speakers is not the issue.

Any help fixing the mobo soundcard?

sirgilmour

Topic Starter

Beginner
    • www.maxartwurk.com
If I could duplicate the right speaker on the left channel it would logicaly work. But how.

DaveLembke

Sage
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
If you had a mono audio jack extension you could patch over the audio from L or R side to the other. Have you tested first to verify that the port/sound card is the true issue and not your set of speakers?

Use of a headset might help in determining if its the speakers or the port/soundcard.

I'd just get a cheap USB Audio Adapter and get stereo sound back for around $15 or less.

You could use a mono jack extension male to female and this will cross the L and R speakers to have sound in both. HOWEVER.... if there is audio that is speaker specific such as watching a movie that has  a directional sound that is normally heard on the speaker side that is non functional then you will have silence or lacking audio quality for it.

I'd just go and get a USB Audio Adapter for $15 or less and get sound back cheaply.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
  • Experience: Beginner
Or a decent PCI-e soundcard for not much more...
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

sirgilmour

Topic Starter

Beginner
    • www.maxartwurk.com
Yeah i have bought a 1.50$ usb stereo dongle and im sure it will work, and im 100% sure i fried the motherboard left channel and any pci card will work but what i would like to do is actually repair the mobo soundcard for resale or personnal accomplissement sake.
I dont know if going back to playing with copper wires could give it a kick in the *censored* and revive it. The worst thay could happen would be losing the right speaker. But while playing with the wires ground and sound it showed no sign of wanting to give up like the left channel. Im guessing that its a conderser that gave up and i have never dealt with an issue with these, the only thing i repaired with soldering to date is headphones and its far to the precision required to start playing with a motherboard.

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
Yer not gonna repair a sound chip at board level without some excellent soldering skills...and the overwhelming odds of finding the correct chip...

Cut your losses.
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
I don't see it mentioned anywhere that you tried a second set of speakers. Was that done to verify it was not the speakers with the problem?
I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Experience: Expert
For General Reference:
Grounding (bonding) of all units.
Both home computers and home stereo can be damaged by wiring mishaps. The output of a PC sound card is at a low level. Nevertheless, both the PC and the Stereo can be damaged by careless use of audio connectors.

I used to do professional level audio work. Whenever you  have disparate (read portable) equipment being hooked together,  you must  have a grounding strap to all equipment before you do anything. Just because you got away with it before does not prove the equipment has auto protection for ground currents.

In professional work things are put in large racks that tie all snuff together and disperses the ground currents. In amateur work only a few audiophiles understand there has to be  a ground bar installed  first.

Translation. run a small wire to the frame of each piece of equipment before you turn the power on.

Ground loops are a source of niche in audio systems. But they can do damage in extreme cases.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ground_loop_%28electricity%29
Ground loops are a major cause of noise, hum, and interference in audio, video, and computer systems. They do not in themselves create an electric shock hazard, the inappropriate connections that cause a ground often result in poor electrical bonding, which is explicitly required by safety regulations in certain circumstances. In any case the voltage difference between the ground terminals of each item of equipment is small. A severe risk of electric shock occurs when equipment grounds are improperly removed in an attempt to cure the problems thought to be caused by ground loops.

In the USA and many other places there is supposed to be a safety ground wire on every electrical outlet. But sometimes it is not present. Then you can get a significant shock. You can survive, but audio input devices for home use can not tolerate that kind of abuse.

The input limits for  such devices may be as low as 5 volts and 20 mills.
Output devices have a higher limit, but still much less that the 120 VAC That might be present with no grounding in place.

So the OP may have blow stuff in the sound card. And even the stereo.

Just for informational use. I really do not know what actually happened.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2015, 09:02:51 PM by Geek-9pm »