Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: password protect folder on XP  (Read 2285 times)

associates

Topic Starter

Intermediate
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    password protect folder on XP
    « on: November 16, 2005, 03:57:56 AM »
    Hi,

I know that the following question has been posted under the topic called issue on file sharing permission by myself. However, i decided to ask from a different point of view.

I was wondering if this is feasible on XP. In a network, i have a fileserver say Comp_A, two other computers say Comp_B and Comp_C. The fileserver Comp_A has a folder that is to be shared in the network. This means that anyone on either Comp_B or Comp_C can access to the folder on Comp_A. At the moment, everything works perfectly.

However, recently it comes to my attention that i do need to password-protect the folder on Comp_A so that whenever user on either Comp_B or Comp_C trying to access the folder they would be prompted for a password to unlock the folder provided a correct password is given and thereafter they can open the folder as normal.

Is it possible to do it this way? or are there any third party software that might be able to do this? any ideas are welcome.

your help is greatly appreciated and look forward to hearing from you

Peccavi

Adviser

• Hope Helps!
      Re: password protect folder on XP
      « Reply #1 on: November 16, 2005, 09:02:50 AM »
      You can assign accesss password to folders for users. As you know those users logged in comps B and C with appropriate rights and permissions can access that folder.

But from the computer with one user logged in, Windows XP asks for username and password of the computer which tries to connect. (in the case A asks for username and password of B/C if they have different usernames)

I haven't heard sth alike with your suggestion.

Computer Hope: Rise of the Machines!