Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Server motherboard won't power on  (Read 2610 times)

mrfesh

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Familiar
    Server motherboard won't power on
    « on: October 09, 2015, 10:45:39 PM »
    I bought some used items from ebay to attempt a build of a small server. The parts I chose were:
    Intel x5570's
    this lga1366 mobo:
    http://www.supermicro.com/manuals/motherboard/X58/X8DTT.pdf
    an evga 500w 80+ Bronze
    and some random matched 1333mhz ecc ddr3 ram

This issue was that upon putting in the 20 pin ATX and the molex (there doesn't seem to be a cpu 4 pin but i could be wrong) and attempting to connect the pins 1 and 2 for starting up the board, nothing happens. I tried this on an identical board i built at the same time and that one doesn't work either. However one time when picking up the board in my hand started it running, for some unexplained reason. Then, I, needing to add components cut off its power and its back at its silly dead state. the psu will start up however as i checked it with a "paperclip test" (anyway the psu's are new from Amazon).

Can anybody out there please put me out of my misery and tell me what's wrong? I've been working on it for like 7 hours to no avail!!! :(

camerongray

Expert
      • Yes
      • Cameron Gray - The Random Rambings of a Computer Geek
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Server motherboard won't power on
    « Reply #1 on: October 10, 2015, 06:18:12 AM »
    This is why you should have read the manual, especially for an unusual motherboard like that.  It states that the power connector pinout is proprietary, you will either need to get a compatible PSU from Supermicro or try and build some sort of adapter based on the information in the manual (Page 2-26), take care with what you are doing as you are at risk of damaging something if you do it wrong.  Alternatively you may be better off selling/returning the motherboard again and then buy a more standardised motherboard.