Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Custom PC, won't boot, Overclocking Failed error when no attempt to overclock.  (Read 3079 times)

Mowery66

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Yes
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Beginner
About 5 months ago I decided to build my first custom rig, specs are as follows...

Asus X99 Deluxe MOBO
I7 5930K 3.0 6core CPU   (closed loop water cooler)
Asus GTX 980 GPU
AX 1200I PSU
3TB HHD
(4x8GB) 32 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum Ram DDR3 (I'm pretty sure it's DDR3)
Asus PB287Q 28" LED Monitor 4K
Windows 8.1 OS

So I ordered my parts, assembled it, installed OS and drivers all no problem. The PC ran just fine for a little over 5 months. However recently when I restarted it It went into a menu I am not familiar with and did some sort of recovery. (It did this entirely on its own upon restart) I let it finish, assuming it was some kind of routine maintenance. Upon completion it black screened, I have attempted to change the BIOS setup several times and have been met with the message, Overclocking failed! Please enter Setup to re-configure your system. I have the settings set at default, and I am not attempting to overclock anything. (Keep in mind that the X99 MOBO has its own BIOS screen) I can't figure out whats wrong.                                 Please help if you can  :)

patio

• Genius
  • Maud' Dib
    • Yes
I would contact ASUS..
Are you OC'ing it currently ? ?

If so on boot enter BIOS...choose fails safe or default settings and prass F10 to save changes and re-boot...
" Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Mowery66

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Yes
No i am not attempting to overclock,   I am currently attempting a refresh.

Salmon Trout

have you got any "friends" or relatives who might have fooled around with your rig while you weren't there? Even if they say they didn't?

Mowery66

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Yes
No I live by myself, and I always lock my game room when I have friends over. Why do you ask?

Salmon Trout

Why do you ask?
You would be surprised how many times computers get "fixed" or "improved" or have games/malware etc installed by someone other than the owner. Often it is a young adult or teenage (or younger) male person. However, if you can exclude that possibility, then I agree with Patio. Since your motherboard is 5 months old, you should be considering a warranty claim.

Mowery66

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Yes
What I ended up doing was a full reset, If I have any further issues I will take your advice.      Thank you!