Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Server Mobo with Correct PSU won't turn on? Is it the right one?  (Read 2738 times)

mrfesh

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Familiar
    I bought some used items from ebay to attempt a build of a small server. The parts I chose were:
    Intel x5570's
    this lga1366 mobo:
    http://www.supermicro.com/manuals/motherboard/X58/X8DTT.pdf
     some random matched 1333mhz ecc ddr3 ram

AND now a new old psu
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/381377833764?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

I assumed because it was for supermicro and that is 1U it should work for the board. I plugged it in after plugging in the motherboard 20 pin and molex(no led no power button). I tried shorting out the power pins but no response from the mobo. Any suggestions? It seemed like there was only 2 things to plug in... No HDD attached just wanted to see if the mobo ran.

camerongray

Expert
      • Yes
      • Cameron Gray - The Random Rambings of a Computer Geek
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Server Mobo with Correct PSU won't turn on? Is it the right one?
    « Reply #1 on: October 13, 2015, 06:16:55 PM »
    This is why you need to take more care and read manuals of the parts as well as look at what you are buying - That PSU will not work with that motherboard, as I said before, your motherboard is a propriatery design aimed at high density enclosures and not standard machines, that PSU on the other hand is designed for motherboards that use standard ATX servers.  The power supply pinout in the manual clearly shows that the power supply connector on the board is entirely 12v and ground wheras the PSU you ordered is a standard ATX pinout with a mix of 12v, 5v and 3.3v rails.

What you need to do is scrap the idea of using that motherboard and instead buy a standard ATX motherboard that works with a regular PSU.  The motherboard you have is totally unsuitable for a machine like this, you won't even be able to find a case to fit it!

You should be able to find a lot of ATX supermicro boards which will support your CPUs.  However, these will usually require a pair of 8pin EPS connectors due to the dual CPU setup when most PSUs will have one of them.  You should however be able to get an adapter that will allow you to adapt one of your PCI-E connectors to act as the secondary EPS connector.

mrfesh

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2015, 06:35:35 PM »
      You have been very helpful. I did not fully understand what you meant by proprietary. I'm sorry to bother you but I have these motherboards and I'd really like them to work out. I know buying something else is a great answer (that works most of the time) but these are the ones i have now. I can't return them. Is there a way to work around? I am very resourceful and working out new headers and even "falsifying a handshake" is alright with me. (Of course with the usual precautions etc...) I simply am frustrated. If it is that the motherboards aren't any good, I'd be fine with that but they seem functional and I'd risk some cheap ram and cpus on it.

camerongray

Expert
        • Yes
      « Reply #3 on: October 13, 2015, 06:47:51 PM »
      In that case I would sell the boards you have, trying to get them to work is more hassle than it's worth.  By proprietary inmean that the power connection is something made up by supermicro so that the board runs entirely off of 12v, this is complely different from a standard PSU which feeds various different voltages to the board.

mrfesh

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2015, 07:07:15 PM »
        It is worth my while (its no hassle, just another daily hack). What could I do (hack-wise)?

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
        • Geek After Dark
          • Gekk9pm bnlog
        « Reply #5 on: October 13, 2015, 07:22:05 PM »
        Camerongray is Right. Just sell it.
        OR
        You need to find at least on Power Supply made just for that motherboard. The you could use it as a model of making some kind of substitute unit.

If you are not into custom hardware design and prototyping, you could be better off selling your inventory to somebody who has the experience and materials.

camerongray

Expert
          • Yes
        « Reply #6 on: October 13, 2015, 07:27:37 PM »
        The only option I would recommend is to try and find the power supply designed specifically for the board.  Trying to bodge a different PSU on is only going to cause trouble and probably end up breaking something.  Modern ATX PSUs are not designed to provide only 12v so even if you did get it working, you will be pushing your PSU to its limit by only loading the 12v rail.

mrfesh

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2015, 07:31:47 PM »
          I am willing to take that risk. That might not be sensible but I don't have to be!  :P
          I was really just asking if anyone knew some way.

mrfesh

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2015, 07:34:12 PM »
            I can service and bodge anything, I have the equipment. I just need an explanation. (btw the psu will suffice on the 12v rail I only need ~200W.)

patio

• Genius
            • Maud' Dib
              • Yes
            • Experience: Beginner
            « Reply #9 on: October 13, 2015, 10:58:29 PM »
            That might not be sensible but I don't have to be!
            " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
            • Geek After Dark
              • Gekk9pm bnlog
            « Reply #10 on: October 14, 2015, 12:27:18 PM »
            Here's some additional information about 12 volt power.
            Industrial power supplies may have several 12 V connections. The hobbyist should understand why this is a common practice in the industry. Is not just simply a case of getting more current through the wires and connectors. Rather it has to do with stability of the system.
            The switching power supply can have any number of outputs. Each output is a separate sub assembly that delivers the desired voltage to a pair of wires. The sub assemblies do not all have to be grounded together. The return wire can go out to the motherboard and at the motherboard it is hooked to the common.
            For the amateur enthusiast the reason for this may not be obvious. But there is an issue regarding stability. By having each unit with separate ground return wires it improves the stability of the system as there is less interaction between different devices that suck power from the 12 V lines. Or, to put it another way, it helps reduce the voltage swing on each supply. That's why they do it.
            If they needed just a huge 12 oh power supply, that is what they would build. But for the  computer stability is very important. Small variations in voltage can cause unreliable operation in some parts of the system. By using separate 12 volt  sub assemblies, the stability can be kept within 2% or even better.
            What I'm trying to say is this. If the design calls for 12 V in four different places on the motherboard, you have to have a power supply that does deliver the four 12  volt independent power from sub assemblies.
            Some hobbyists have posted another places that you can just simply type all the units together and hook up to a huge 12 V power supply. That's not true. It was not designed that way for a reason. It has to do with stability. Muck around and  try some hacking and you'll end up with something does not work reliably.
            Just for informational purpose.  :).