Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Upgrading a Laptop using spares from another Laptop  (Read 2808 times)

richardf77

Topic Starter

Beginner

• Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Upgrading a Laptop using spares from another Laptop
    « on: October 17, 2015, 11:18:56 AM »
    I have currently in my possession 2 4 year old ASUS laptops. One has recently stopped working due to a power supply problem, is eneconomical to repair and has been replaced by a new machine. As far as i know the rest of the hardware is in good working order (RAM HDD Optical Drive). I also have a fully functional ASUS laptop which is about the same age (slightly older) and would benefit from some hardware improvements, particularly the optical drive which only works intermittently (Could use more RAM too).

Asuming the hardware is compatible is it possible to take components from the U/S laptop and install them into the other machine to give it more 'life' and generally impove it?

I always think it is a bit of a waste when a PC is replaced and superceeded leaving behind perfectly good if older technology.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Upgrading a Laptop using spares from another Laptop
    « Reply #1 on: October 17, 2015, 12:50:37 PM »
    I always think it is a bit of a waste when a PC is replaced and superseded leaving behind perfectly good if older technology.
    I agree with your thoughts. The cold fact is that we live in a world that want s use to waste. Paper instead of cloth. Styrofoam coffee cups. And throwaway computers.

Now might be possible to use the battery from one in the other.
    Perhaps the RAM chips  are the same type. Maybe the power pack is the same.

But overall, they seldom have parts that interchange. The  manufacturers are under pressure to come out with new models to meet market demands.

richardf77

Topic Starter

Beginner

• Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #2 on: October 18, 2015, 03:01:46 AM »
      Thanks

I was hoping the Optical Drives would be compatible/interchangable. Not that bothered about HDD (could turn it into an External drive with an enclosure). RAM would be nice assuming there are spare slots and the chips are compatible.

The one bit of hardware that i know i definetly cant change and that annoys me the most is the Processor, the one on the U/S laptop is far better than the on in the laptop that works but i know that my tools and skills will not allow me to change them over even if it were possible. I am aware changing processors depends on whether the think is welded to the motherboard or not. I would also summise it isnt possible to swap whole motherboards easily at home either?

I really need to open both up and have a look for comparison (and perhaps take photos), then get a hardware spec list for both and see whats the same and whats different.

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
      • Geek After Dark
        • Gekk9pm bnlog
      • Certifications: List
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #3 on: October 18, 2015, 11:01:48 AM »
      I really need to open both up and have a look for comparison (and perhaps take photos), then get a hardware spec list for both and see whats the same and whats different.
      You got that right.   :||x
      Commercial designs for consumer electronics ere wild.  They push standards and limits  to the extreme.  So much attention is given to size, weight, fell and good looks that serviceability is ignored. No reason to say tact will change soon.  But  I think it will have to change. People are getting fed up with consumer products that do not last or can be repaired.

Here is a recent PR from the
      Consumer Electronics Association
      If you take a glance, you will see there is no attempt to make electronics gadgets easy to fix or update>:(

..And it is not just me!

We Need the Right to Repair Our Gadgets